Problem With "amazing Vanilla Cake"

Baking By iris219 Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 3:01pm by iris219

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 13

I made my cake last night using the "Amazaing Vanilla Cake" recipe posted here on cc and as it was baking the center of the cakes did not rise, it actually sunk in more than the edges of the cake. I used a 10" & 8" round cake pan and use cake flour instead of all purpose flour because that's all I had.

Can someone tell me if this is suppose to happen? Do I need to re-bake these using all purpose flour to get it to rise in the center?

Any help on this please, I need these cakes for Sunday. Thank you.

12 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 13

The cake flour shouldn't have done that. How old is your baking powder?

iris219 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

The cake flour shouldn't have done that. How old is your baking powder?

I just brought my baking powder two weeks ago.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 13

Well, that was my only thought. I have bought baking powder near it's expiration date and ended up with similar results, so now I check the date before I buy. Someone else should come along with other suggestions. You could always pm the person who submitted the recipe.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 13

Did you open the oven door at all during the baking process? If there is a sudden drop in temperature before the cake structure is allowed to form in the center, it could cause the cake to fall.

iris219 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr531

Did you open the oven door at all during the baking process? If there is a sudden drop in temperature before the cake structure is allowed to form in the center, it could cause the cake to fall.

actually yes, my daughter did. She wanted to see if it was getting golden color. Didn't think anything of it as other recipes she's done the same and it hasn't fallen like that in the middle. Ok, so I guess that was my problem.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 13

Sounds like it wasn't completely cooked in the centre
How long did you bake for?
remember 10" will take longer than 8"
When I am baking a 10" I use a flower nail in the centre of my cake

iris219 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

according the the recipe...need to bake for about 30 mins or so. I did bake until I got the golden brown color. Didn't use the flower nail as I really wanted the cake to rise as much as it could.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 13

It also sounds to me like the cake was not done in the middle. I normally check the doneness with a toothpick in the center as color alone is not always an indicator of doneness.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris219

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

according the the recipe...need to bake for about 30 mins or so. I did bake until I got the golden brown color. Didn't use the flower nail as I really wanted the cake to rise as much as it could.

All ovens are different, I have read to bake for 45 mins and ended up baking for over an hour. My general rule of thumb is not the open the oven until after 45 mins for any cake 8" and over. Even then, I lightly shake the oven door with the light on in the over, and if the cake jiggles in the pan, I don't open the door. If it doesn't jiggle, I open the door and test with a toothpick. Not an exact science but hasn't failed me yet!

iris219 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 13

well, need to bake another batch tonight for the 8" round pan to see what happens this time. And will do as you suggested pouchet82 about the oven door.

iris219 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 13

well did another batch last night and it did come out a little better but it still sunk in the middle but not completely just a little.

Just thinking that maybe it's my milk. I use 1% and not the regular whole milk and used cake flour instead of all purpose flour. Or maybe I let it mix a 1 min too long.

The cake tastes awesome and my husband ate the first 8" round cake all by himself. No frosting or nothing just like that. He said the first batch even though it sunk in the middle it was completely baked all around. He wants me to make another one just for him. lol.

iris219 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 13

Does anyone know if this recipe freezes well?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%