How Do I Get Poured Sugar Gems To Stay On Fondant Cake?

Decorating By Chrissytorres Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm by Rusti

Chrissytorres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrissytorres Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 19

I made some edible gems out of poured sugar and they look lovely. I attached them to my fondant cake using water and they stuck fine; however, this morning I woke up and saw they had ALL slid down the cake and left water spots!! I can not use royal icing because they are clear and you would be able to see the icing underneath. Any suggestions? Please help cake due in two days!!

18 replies
mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 19

What color is your fondant?

Chrissytorres Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 19

teal

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 19

what about gum glue(I think that's what it's called)? It's a mixture of tylose powder and water

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 19

When I make little gumpaste figures - I glue the pieces together with a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of meringue powder and water - that always works really well. I've never tried it with sugar pieces though.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 19

color the royal to match the fondant?

Chrissytorres Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 19

I will try the meringue powder and water and see if that works. Does it dry pretty clear? Since the gems are clear I do not want the color behind them to show. Thanks for the ideas everyone. Maybe piping gel? Does that dry like glue?

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 19

Piping gel...haven't done it...but, I bet it works. Good luck!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 19

I think I read that attaching them with water can cause the sugar to melt and the gems to become cloudy. That might be why they slid down. I think someone had recommended attaching them with candy melts

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 19

Piping gel never completely dries

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 19

I think glue might be the best suggestion although I make mine with tylose and water. It's clear and it drys well

Chrissytorres Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 19

Yeah that was my only concern about piping gel. It stays sticky and may cause gems to melt or slide down again. I have tylos, so I may try making the glue with tylos and water. What are the recommended amounts for the tylos and water? I am trying to finish this cake for a cake o=competition in Austin, my fist, this weekend. We will be driving up to Austin on Friday and I have to make sure the gems don't fall or slide down. Thanks everyone for your help. Any of you all attending the That takes the Cake Competition?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 19

I'm going to be a volunteer! icon_smile.gif

craftybrandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybrandi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 19

Using just water and just gel has NOT worked for me - they all slide. Even with royal icing they still had some movement. I would like to know if the water/tylose does the trick!

Chrissytorres Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 19

I will be trying it tonight after church and I will post whether or not they stay. icon_biggrin.gif

Rusti Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 19

thumbs_up.gifAdd 2 tablespoons of warm water to a quarter teaspoon of Tylose Powder and allow the Tylose powder to melt. Dont worry if at this stage the glue appears not to be blending. Put a lid on the container and leave it in the refrigerator overnight and in the morning you will have a perfectly clear and ready to use glue.

The glue should be a dripping consistency. If it is too thick, just add a little more water and stir with a toothpick .

The edible glue should be stored in the refrigerator when not in use.

To apply the glue, use a good quality paintbrush and brush on to the area where you are going to be working. Leave until it begins to dry a little so that the area is just tacky to touch.

I found this online, can't remember where but it works great.

Chrissytorres Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you so much! I am definitely going to try this tonight.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #18 of 19

Gum glue didn't work for me when I attached my gems.

What color is your fondant cake? Could you just make royal icing to match the color of your cake and glue them on with that?

Rusti Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm
post #19 of 19

I haven't had the chance to work with gems yet, I don't know how heavy they are. Maybe the gum glue needs to be thicker for gems, maybe adding a little more tylose would help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%