Rory1547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rory1547 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 5

How do you make baby animals from fondant, HELP

4 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 5

You will need to add some tylose powder to the fondant to make it stiffer and better able to hold its shape. Just think of the fondant as modeling clay or play dough and make the animals as you would using those materials. Look through the galleries and look at pictures of what others have done on this site. There is really no wrong or right way to make these - do what ever gets you the look YOU want. Good luck and have fun.

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 5

I find I work best by looking through pictures and finding what I want my animals to look like, then I print the pictures out and sit down and go for it! there are tutorial for a few animals on youtube.com

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 5

Another useful resource is books on creating figures from clay. The baby jungle animals on one of my cakes were from a polymer clay book from the library.

I used Satin Ice fondant with some Wilton Gumtex powder mixed in to help it to harden faster.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 5

I suggest looking at Lorraine McKay's work. (Aine2) She has some great tutorials. I started by using the Polymer Clay books as a guide. They are a great resource.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%