Net 30 Not Working For Me...

Business By Tomoore Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 3:30pm by cakesdivine

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 3

In Jan, I got a large order from a new client. In Feb (last Friday), I got a decent sized order from his business. Because everything was so seamless last time, the order date was so close to the delivery date, and I am very interested in building a business with his company, I waived the need to collect the deposit (though it does state that it is required on the invoice). I expected to be paid upon delivery until she replied to an email telling me that they are net 30 with all of their vendor.

I don't want to be a problem vendor, but I want to be fair to myself too. I spent money for the order that was due on Thurs. I stayed up late last night and got up early this morning. I had an associate come in to help because I was initially not prepared for this order and needed help if I was to successfully work it into my cake sched for this wk.

I recieved a voicemail a few minutes asgo that the event has been cancelled and will be rescheduled. That does nothing for the time and money that I've already put out this wk.

I understand that I was silly to not demand the deposit, but how do I professionally state that I will need one going forward. I admit that I am worried about not being considered in the future if they have another vendor that agrees to this.

2 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 3

Count this as a learning experience and salvage what you can to re-use. Just plop that contract next time and get it signed. They are a business too and I am sure have signed many contracts over the years. (or as ID would say...put on your big girl panties and get 'er done!)

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 3

I dealt with this too. I provided 13 8" rounds in various flavors pre portioned to 12 servings and individually packaged and labled each week to a very big church for the weekly singles bible study, they sold them at a mark up through their little cafe inside the church. I gave them a HUGE discount and expected to be paid upon delivery, I did this for about 3 months and it took me almost half a year to get all the funds paid to me due to their accounts payable schedule, and this was a very "rich" church & the biggest church in the city. Really sucked because at the time I was really struggling in my life financially.

I did have good experiences when I dealt with Exxon, they paid me when they ordered with a corporate credit card, I did monthly fullsheets for their company wide birthday parties. They called they ordered they paid when they ordered so not all big businesses are like that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%