First Wedding

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm by Mug-a-Bug

SandiOh Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 5

For my friend who did my tattoo...I'm doing a small 9 and 6 inch round with ribbon and fresh flowers..nervous as heck about it...mostly just about the flowers that are supposed to cascade down the front.

I practiced with silk on a dummy, but have not actuallly placed fresh flowers on a cake...bought J.Doontz new DVD about flowers, so feel comfortable about placing them on the top, ledge and bottom...but...
any suggestions, helpful hints about anything at this point would be appreciated.

Cake is made and in the freezer...wedding is Saturday pm (doing 15 dz cupcakes too...but I'm fine with that)

TIA
SAndi

4 replies
EvMarie Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not a "cascader" at all. But, have you checked youtube? Maybe there is a tutorial about cake/decoration assembly?

Just a thought! Good Luck!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 5

I just did my first wedding cake in January and it had a big flower cascade (in my photos). Fresh flower cascades are really pretty easy. I used drinking straws and boba tea straws with the ends melted together to make my own flower picks (or you can buy them). Don't stick flowers into cake!! Start at the bottom and 'rest' each flower group on the one below it. Fill in gaps with filler flowers or baby's breathe. It's pretty hard to mess up, you'll do fine. PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

SandiOh Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 5

Mug-a-bug, thank you. I had heard go bottom up, but forgot...see I'm glad I posted.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated...words of wisdom...??

Mug-a-Bug Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5

If you have a big bunch of flowers just use a bigger straw instead of a bunch of tiny ones, to avoid tearing your cake up. I think doing a slight "C" shape looks nice too. Cut the end off your stems and soak in water overnight. You don't really need any water in the straw. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%