Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By grannymo Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 11:41pm by Jemoiselle

grannymo Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #1 of 7

I made a bear out of rice crispie treats for the top of a baby cake & want to cover it with modeling chocolate. Any tricks before I start? I have the chocolate made in containers. Thanks for your help

6 replies
Jemoiselle Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 7

The best I've got thus far, employ the use of a heating pad to set the modeling chocolate on while working to ensure a smooth finish on the bear. Makes it easier to cover when it is NIIICE and soft. I am not an expert though by any means, I just love working with the stuff. Where are the vets eh?

Good luck!

Kitagrl Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 7

I have a question now that you guys brought it up....I tried making homemade modeling chocolate one time and followed a recipe...and it was ROCK HARD!!!! That or sticky and melting.

I've used premade modeling chocolate before so I know what its supposed to act like and this stuff I made was worthless.

Whats the best recipe with the best brand of chocolate to use? Like candy melts, or real chocolate?

Lee15 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 7

I make my own modelling chocolate. I use Mike McCarey's recipe with chocolate disks. It will be like rock the next day - that's normal. Then you have to pop it in the microwave for a few secs (you don't want the oils to start coming out) to loosen it up and then knead and use it. I was also told that instead of putting it in the microwave, to use a rolling pin and pound it a bit - was not a big fan of this method.

Luckylurker Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:56am
post #5 of 7

it is usually hard the next day, depending on the kind you made. White chocolate will be softer for example than dark chocolate. All you do is warm it up a bit. Don't melt it! Depending on how much you're using, you can zap it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time and knead it in between, or just warm it up in your hands by working it. It's a pain to warm up, but once you do, it's fine. Also, when you make it, make sure to let it set overnight before trying to use it. It's pretty obvious but I thought I'd point that out.

noahsmummy Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:23am
post #6 of 7

Lee15; do you have a link to that recipe?

Jemoiselle Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 7

This is the recipe I use. I should mention every chocolate is different, and will need more or less LCS. You don't have to throw it away if you mess up though, err on the lesser side of the additions volume wise, until you figure out how much LCS the chocolate "wants" in order to cooperate. If it comes out too oily, re-melt it gently in that double boiler and add another ounce or two of chocolate until it behaves.

I have found the chocolate looks icky and oily almost like it is bleeding oil at first, especially for white choc. I let it sit for a few hours, sometimes up to overnight, and the oil re-absorbs to a matte finish and I am left with a wonderfully pliable modeling chocolate.

The recipe I use is:

1lb white choc
1/2c light corn syrup
food coloring (oil based)

*If using dark choc use up to 2/3 cup light corn syrup.
*If you insist on using melts, just reduce the LCS slightly

I melt the chocolate in a double boiler to get it just melted but not cooked like the microwave can do. I also use only real chocolate, not melts. The melts get bad reviews from my guests and taste testers hehe. They say it leaves a waxy oily feel in their mouth. Anyways, melt the chocolate, add the corn syrup gradually, watching to make sure you don't see the cocoa butter oil separating which would indicate you have added too much possibly. You will learn to eye this process to know if you need more or less corn syrup.

Spread on a plastic wrap lined cookie sheet and allow to set for enough hours for the chocolate to re-absorb any oil that surfaced during mixing and handling. Use when matte and cool. My chocolate made this way is pliable, not like a rock.

PS As for brands, the basics work well--Baker's Bars for the semi-sweet. Ghiradelli white bars work nicely. Hersheys hehe, for the dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%