How Much Cake To Make?!

Decorating By DEEsserts Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm by DEEsserts

DEEsserts Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Bakers! I am a beginner with baking cakes, I have mostly done it for family and friends and only have made a handful of them! I usually use box cake with store bought icing and cover it in marshmallow fondant and MMF accessories. My question is about buttercream. I hear a lot about it and a lot of people use it. Why is buttercream better to use? Does it harden easier, leaving a better surface to work with it? My other question is I am planning to make a 2 tier round cake, how much cake do I make? Should I buy a 12" round cake pan and then two 8" round cake pans layered? Will that be enough? I'm sorry, I don't have a lot of experience and any advice would help! I am making a Blue's Clues cake that needs to feed 50 kids....I just want to make sure that I am making enough cake because this is the first cake I'm actually charging for. Also, just a hypothetical question, how much would yall charge for a cake this size?

Attached is the cake I am using for give yall an idea of what I'm talking about!

Thanks for yalls time =)

3 replies
AfordRN Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:09am
post #2 of 4

A 12 and 8" will be great plenty for 50 kids. You will need to bake 2 12" and 2 8" cakes (assuming these are 2" high pans). When you stack, be sure to support the top cake with either wooden dowels or straws. Cut these even to the top of your 12" so they hold up the 8" above it.

Buttercream: I make my own, search the recipes for one you might like to try. I swear by Sugar Schaks's a crusting BC and is smooth as ice. Of course if your using fondant, you really don't have to worry as much about that.

tinygoose Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #3 of 4

I would do a 2 layer 10"=38 servings, and a 2 layer 6"=12 servings, that's 50. Yes they are wedding sized, but it's still a nice size serving and kids (unless were talking teens) don't eat all that much cake.

DEEsserts Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 4

Thank yall so much for the help! I really appreciate! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%