Gritty/sandy Buttercream?

Baking By MemphisMom9801 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm by MemphisMom9801

MemphisMom9801 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone help me out with this one, please? Seems like the last several times I've made buttercream, when it dries it gets this dry, gritty/sandy texture to it. Doesn't matter which recipe I use... Wilton's or other random powdered sugar based bc recipes (milk, butter &/or shortening, ps, and flavoring). The only thing I could think of that might be contributing in some way is that I tend to use half liquid coffee creamer and half milk for the added liquid.... but I don't know what effect that would be having. Any suggestions/ideas that would help achieve a creamier/smoother buttercream when dry? Thanks!

7 replies
JGMB Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure if either of these could be causing your problem, but do you use 10x sugar? Not all powdered sugars are 10x, you have to check the label. Also, I always sift mine before adding it to the mixer.

metria Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 8

do you mean when it crusts? BC with powdered sugar can form a crust when it dries.

if you want to try a non-crusting recipe, look for IMBC or SMBC.

lapazlady Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 8

You might try adding a tablespoon or two of Glycerine to the buttercream. I've had buttercream feel gritty just after I made it and went looking for a solution. One was the addition of glycerine. Give it a try. HTH

whisperingmadcow Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 8

Why do you use the coffee creamer and not all milk?

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by whisperingmadcow

Why do you use the coffee creamer and not all milk?

Hi ~ I have seen others do it to enhance the flavor. For example, if you want hazelnut buttercream, some people will use hazelnut coffee creamer. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:32am
post #7 of 8

A crusting b/c will get a "crusty" top layer but the b/c underneath will remain soft and creamy. Are you using a crusty b/c?

If so, it's necessary to cover any unused frosting immediately as it will crust when exposed to air - and then when you mix it again, you're mixing in crusted bits....

Otherwise, I would recommend that you sift your powdered sugar prior to measuring it to eliminate any lumps. And it makes a difference in my b/c if the powdered sugar isn't cane (although other members don't have any problems using beet sugar).

Sugarshack uses coffee creamer in her recipe (hot) so I don't think that's an issue. And I regularly use cream or 1/2 & 1/2 in my b/c.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 8

Sorry... I've been so busy these last few days, I forgot I had posted this. Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm using a crusting buttercream. I was just beginning to get turned off by the dry feel of the bc once it's crusted. I may try another type of frosting... never have before but there's always a first time. icon_smile.gif And, yes, I use flavored coffee creamers to enhance the taste of the buttercream. Thanks for the different tips and recipes to try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%