Cricut Cake Personal Electronic Cutter!!

Decorating By keeja Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 4:21am by JenniferAtwood

keeja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keeja Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 19

CRICUT is coming out with a cutter for cakers!! What are your views on this? Does anyone use the original cricut or cricut expressions? I was all geared up to purchase a cricut expressions until I went to the site and saw that they are making one for the cake industry...I am totally excited, but don't want to get the heavy price when I can just purchase a cricut and it works the same. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks and have a great day!!

18 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 19

A lot of people use the expression and have been for some time without any problems. That is what Linda McClure uses on her DVDs. I got my expression on ebay for $250 with 2 cartridges, 1 12x12 mat and 2 12x24 mats so I'm not shelling $400 for the cake cricut. You will need to get the deepcut housing and blade if you go with the expression. The cartridges and mats for the new cake cricut should be interchangeable.

Trad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trad Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 19

I am very excited for the new cricut cake, myself. I have been using the original cricut and that has worked out fine, but I do know that the cricut cake will be coming with new cartridges that I've heard may only be used for that particular model, and the blades are better made for cutting things other than paper. I've also heard rumor that there may be a new intsruction DVD coming with the new machine. Does anyone have any information on that?

keeja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keeja Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 19

I'm more worried about things being food safe to use. I own a government inspected residential bakery, and I would hate to purchase the original cricut and it not be food safe...with the cutters and all. Maybe this cricut cake cutter will have all the bells and whistles that say FOOD SAFE, FDA APPROVED, etc. I don't know. I have gotten a lot of response from others that the cricut is great for cutting fondant. Not that someone is going to mainly chump on my fondant appliques or anything, but I would like to know that its okay to consume.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 19

The Cricut Cake is food safe - one of the reasons I am beginning to believe it is well worth it in a retail setting. The blade housing has been improved to work better with food and is dishwasher safe. As soon as we get our hands on the first one, I will report back on the "nitty-gritty".

Also, for those waiting, I got busy yesterday, but will share the gumpaste recipe before I leave the bakery for the day today.

Tobias

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 19

I had contacted ProvoCraft a few weeks ago & asked the difference between the expression & cake machine - the rep was clearly stating that the cake model is food safe (components that would touch fondant/gumpaste) & made a point to say the other models are not. There was no mention on whether or not it is has a food safe label on the components - but I'm sure the packing/material will (for your inspection purpose). Potential price is around $400.
Take some time to take a look & search the forums for the cricut discussions, as there have been a few - one with some detailed info. on the cake machine.
Good luck!

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 19

do you think you will be able to use the criket cake on paper also?

theremingtons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theremingtons Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:38am
post #8 of 19

i've used my cricut expressions a ton for cakes and will NOT be buying the new one. i have had excellent results and love linda's dvd from www.creativedesignscakes.com
she's got a new one and i am giddy to get it in the mail soon.

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 19

Just received an e-mail that the Cricut Cake will be on TLC's Ultimate Cake Off on March 1st - competitors are Norman Davis & Carrie Biggers. The e-mail says "tune in and you may catch the Cricut Cake in action..."
Just thought I'd pass it on...

theremingtons Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 19

of course PC is going to tell you you can't use your expressions to cut gumpaste...they want your $$$ for a new machine. icon_smile.gif

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 19

Hi, Just to let you know the new Cricut Cake Cutter is going to be used march 1st on Ultimate Cake off .Can't wait.
Thats right after Cake Boss

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #12 of 19

The machine used is actually the Expressions, not the new Cake which is red. Yay! I just got mine!

Norm says 'there are only 12 of us using this technology right now'. I know this was filmed several months ago, but there are certainly more than 12 decorators using Cricut. I guess he is referring to the upper eschelon of decorators.

theremingtons Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #13 of 19

I laughed when I heard Norm say that...in good humor.
I'd say there are 12x1000 cake decorators doing this technique. Whether you are doing it for the first time or you've done a hundred cakes this way, I say we are ALL included in this BRAND NEW AWESOME technique! We are the pioneers testing out this great new creative idea.
Way to go ladies!

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:50am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriO

do you think you will be able to use the criket cake on paper also?

Yes, you can use the cake to cut paper. However, the cake blade does not make a clean cut. We cut card stock in the Cake by using our deep cut blade and housing unit from the Expression.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:10am
post #15 of 19

My husband watched it with me tonight and when Norm said that my husband said he is wrong it is 13 I have seen you use that machine. I didn't think he ever paid attention. LOL

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #16 of 19

Linda, I actually thought of you when I heard Norm say that there's only 12 decorators that use this technique (ha-ha!). Maybe 12 decorators that he knows personally.
BTW, I have your dvd & love it!

theremingtons Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #17 of 19

Jennifer, you can use your reg. blade housing unit in a the cake like an expression and use it for all the other things a cricut can do? That is neat. I already have an expressions, it is all I am going to use...I want to buy a new lens for my camera and I want an expensive one. icon_biggrin.gif

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks Jennifer, would love to get one, just not sure which one would suit my needs best.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #19 of 19

TeriO,
What are you looking to do with it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%