Below are the steps I used to make the Mario topper ,however this method will work for almost anything (trees,flowers,animals etc.)
I have also attached the actual Mario picture I used .
Hopes this helps.
If you have questions just ask.
2-D Character Cake Topper
1. Print up character of your choice in size needed. Cut out character.
2. Roll out gum paste or mmf with tylose about 1/8 thick. Grease top with shortening (so paper doesnt stick)
3. Place paper cut-out on top of gum paste and smooth out.
4.Using a X-acto knife (or other sharp knife) cut character shape out, remove excess gum paste .
5. With a straight pin poke holes and trace inner lines of character, these are your guidelines where to put your gum paste later.
6. Remove paper.
7. Now using the same paper you traced the lines with cut each section out as if it where a puzzle.
8. Use each of these pieces to trace and cut out the colored gum paste.
9. Place colored gum paste onto white gum paste just like puzzle pieces, some pieces will go on top of others (Marios side burns and overall straps went on top)
10. Using a clay tool, toothpick or back of a butter knife mark add definition, details and indentions.
11. Lastly add any top pieces (nose, buttons, eyes, etc.)
12. Let dry and attach toothpicks or skewer to back with candy melts.
Thanks for sharing.
Awesome job on your cake and thanks for the info you shared!
Such a great job!
Thanks! My daughter loves Mario. This will make a nice surprise cake for her.
Thanks CakeMommyTX, this is the same as doing decopage I think. Your cake is wonderful.
what an awsome idea! will definitly used on my next cake! thanks alot!
wow thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!!! saving!!!!
Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to give it a try.
Thanks for sharing, my boys love Mario. I have to try making it...
thank so much for sharing , my question is you said to attach with candy melt can you explain how you do that? and why? Thanks
Thank You!! I can't wait to try this!
I tried your method and love it! Thank you very much for the tutorial!
Here's the topper I made
Thanks again CakeMommyTX!!!!!
I can see this working very well with the cricut
This is awesome! Thank you!
Thank you so much for the information, it is greatly appreciated. Your work is awesome by the way