Cake Colouring

Decorating By lauthala Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 11:51am by Classycakes

lauthala Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making my nieces wedding cake,I have free rein with it. I wouldn't mind matching the cake colour to her dress which happens to be a very pale, I think you would call champagne. I have been testing out a few colours of browns mixed with some fondant but they seem to look like they have a yellowish tinge to it so looks terrible near the champagne sample.

Any ideas as to how I could get this colour or should I try some other colour. The bridesmaid is chocolate brown. Be most grateful for your help.

5 replies
Classycakes Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 6

Adding a touch of brown food colouring will only give you a beige colour.

Try an "ivory" food colouring. Personally I like Americolour Ivory better than the Wilton but the Wilton ivory will do in a pinch. The Americolour Ivory will give you a nice soft champagne or ivory colour.

lauthala Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 6

Classycakes,I just looked at your photos,the 3 tier shell cake,that top tier is about the colour of the dress sample I have.The ivory colours I have seen here tends to look more cream,must admit haven't seen the America colour yet,no one around this area stock it,will have to check on line.Oh by the way your photos looked great.

Classycakes Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much! I order the Americolours from a Canadian supplier but you should have no trouble finding a distributor closer to you.

For the shell cakes, I actually used a dab of melted chocolate, then increased it for the next two bottom tiers.

Good luck with your cake!

lauthala Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:10am
post #5 of 6

Just noticed your birthday 15thMay,mine is the 13th.Ijust arrived home after visiting a lady I know who has been decorating for years,shows and judges.There was no way we could match or get close enough to the colour I want,what ever we did would look blah.So have decided(I think) just do an all white cake,as there are pearls around the bases and stripes up the side of bottom layer,use the same pearl luster on them as whats on the pearls,and for the flowers on top tier, she gave me a luster colour called Dreamcoat add a hit of this on the flowers.
This lady has every thing you could imagine in the way of cake dec.stuff,I suppose when you have been doing it for so long you bound to collect a heap of gear,I loved to have sat in her c/dec. room at her home all day just going through her gear and books.

Classycakes Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:51am
post #6 of 6

Yay, another Taurus!! Your friend sounds like a wealth of information and experience. It's wonderful that you have her in your life to help you out with advice when you need it. And yYour cake sounds wonderful! I bet it will be just beautiful when you are finished.

Good luck and happy caking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%