Getting Started By Working In A Bakery

Business By savoriesnsweets Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm by minicuppie

savoriesnsweets Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:10am
post #1 of 4

Hi all!
I've recently finished culinary school but have realized that I should have gone to the pastry program instead to focus on cake baking and decorating. Right now I just bake & decorate cakes, cupcakes & cookies for family & friends and many have told me I should try to open my own business. I'd love to do this someday but I still feel there's more to learn. Has anyone learned more about the business by working in a bakery? What would be the best way to find openings in this field? Would working in a high-output very commercial bakery help or hurt if you're more interested in making specialty cakes? There's so much to learn that you can't really learn in a class! I'd love to hear all your different experiences.

3 replies
julzs71 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:36am
post #2 of 4

Well it all depends on what you want.
I have never worked in a bakery, so mine are just guesses
If you work at a grocery store you have to do speed decorating. That could be helpful for you.
If you were in an upscale bakery. It could help with speed and accuracy. Once again helpful.
If you want to learn more than decorating then an upscale restaurant would work for pastry would be more the thing you would be looking for.

CWR41 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:47am
post #3 of 4

Yes, go apply, it can't hurt, and you'll never regret the experience that you'll gain from it.

minicuppie Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 4

You are holding the golden ticket for entry into the professional pastry world. Look for a mentor. Work in as many fine dining establishments as you can. Ask if you can intern at upscale bakeries. Take all that knowledge and develop your signature style. Then open a place and blow their doors off. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%