Pricing Dummy Cakes..

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 8

I have a request from a budget bride. She wants a small 2 tier cake with the bottom being the dummy and the top they will save for their anniversary. They want sheet cakes to serve to the guest and the other cake to be for photos. How much do you guys charge for the dummy? I've heard some charge 50% of the real cake or less. Its still covered in fondant and has to be decorated.

7 replies
cakeinthebox4U Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:00am
post #2 of 8

I wouldn't be going down to 50% because to decorate it it's still going to take you 100% of the time! I've done a dummy wedding cake and all they saved was the labour hours that it would take to bake the cake, make the buttercream and ice it. The dummies cost almost as much as the cake ingredients so don't sell yourself short.

tonedna Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #3 of 8

I dont charge much less either, unless there is no decoration on the layer then I would go down on it. But sometimes they require as much work as a regular cake.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:28am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the replies! I do agree its definitely the same amount of work.

mamawrobin Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:48am
post #5 of 8

It takes just as long to decorate a dummy cake as a real one. Of course you don't have the time and expense of a "real" cake so that saves some $'s but not 50%. I would think more along the lines of 10%.

Nellical Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 8

I think I read once on their website that Buddy, the Cake Boss, has a policy that he just won't do it since it is just as much labor, cost and all. If you think about it, the labor that goes into making and frosting the sheets is the same as making the layers for the cake. There is really no savings involved.

I just won't do it. I have a set minimum for a wedding cake, or any specialty stacked cake, and they might as well get the real deal. Ace of Cakes, Duff of Charm City Cakes, has a $1,000 minimum on any cake that comes out of his facility, no matter the size or shape.

We have an actual bakery and we have rent, wages, utilities, supplies, and all the rest of the overhead to pay for. And loads of taxes. Lordy. I want to help but it isn't a charity and we have bills to pay too. Brides need to understand that and not try to reinvent the wheel or take advantage. I hate to sound harsh, but come on, don't ask me to pay for your wedding cake.

KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 8

Generally it's MORE expensive to have a dummy cake and sheet cakes than it is to just have the tiered cake be real and serve all the guests.

The only time dummy cakes really come into play is if the BTB wants a MUCH larger cake than she needs, then some of the tiers can be made from dummies........but I only charge about $.50/serv. less for a dummy. More often than not, the dummy itself costs more than cake ingredients and they take the same, if not more time, to decorate (since it can be difficult icing such a light cake)

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 8

Exactly! I gave her several quotes and the cost of real vs dummy was so close she would be crazy NOT to get real cake. For some reason people have this notion that sheet cakes are going to be a ton cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%