Servings Help Please

Decorating By Lenette Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 2:51am by Lenette

Lenette Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 4

I have a baby shower cake to do for the weekend, it's a girl from my church so I can do whatever. I was thinking about a baby block.

I need to serve about 50 people. I was thinking at first of doing 3 small cakes, like 6" squares 3 layers tall so it would be 6x6.

But now I am thinking of doing one big block but I am not sure of the sizes.

Would 9" squares to it? By the time I fill 4 layers it would be about 9" tall.

What do you think of this idea? How would you go about it?

Thanks for your help.

3 replies
Renaejrk Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 4

A serving is generally 8 cubic inches, so you could plan on 1x1x9 inch slices - 9 cubic inches, or you could put a board in the middle of the cake so it would be easier to cut 1x2x4.5 inch slices (still 9 cubic inches). You could get 81 servings approximately.

If you want to get closer to 50 I would go with a smaller size. Either way with a block it will be really tall, so make sure you are prepared for that for your cutting.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

Slices are 1"x2"x4". My guess is over 88 slices with some odd pieces left over. Be careful how you slice.

Lenette Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 4

Oh my gosh! I suck at figuring servings, it's really sad as long as I've been doing this. That is twice as much as needed.

Thank you both for responding to me. I will definitely put a board in between and scale it down. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%