Hot Water Bath

Baking By rene1976 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm by rene1976

rene1976 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone had this happen and is it normal....I used a hot water bath for my cheesecake which I don't normally do and I followed the procedure of covering the outside of the pan with tinfoil, put it into the other pan and filled with water half-way. Well, when the cake was done, I lifted it out and when I took the tinfoil off, there was water inside it. I don't know why that happens. Last time that happened, the crumb base was soggy.

7 replies
antonia74 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 8

It just must have gotten in somehow through a crease or maybe as you were sliding it into/out of the oven? Even a slight tilt of the pan can offset the waterline and it just might have a chance to creep in there. That sometimes happens to us when we're making creme brulees and pot-au-cremes....as careful as we try to be.

Another way of cooking them is to place a pan of hot water in the oven underneath your cake instead of using a bain marie. It's the same result, but less mess. I do dozens of cheesecakes every week that way and I love them! (No...I don't eat them all, it's for the bakery! lol) icon_lol.gif

rene1976 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 8

awesome, thanks for your reply. I will try the water underneath. I don't know how it got in, but the other way you said sounds great.

antonia74 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 8

I use a loaf pan, filled about halfway with hot water right from the kettle. It's enough moisture for our convection oven, which holds about twelve 9" cheesecakes at a time when full.

rene1976 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 8

would that work for a gas oven as well? i tried it in my oven at home and the pan of water underneath didn't work the same. I use gas ovens in the kitchen I rent and my home oven was electric.

antonia74 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #6 of 8

Yes, our ovens are gas & convection too.

PinkZiab Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 8

I just bake my cheesecakes in a normal cake pan, instead of a springform, and then I don't have to worry about foil or water getting in.

rene1976 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 8

how do you get them out of a regular pan?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%