Cancellations And Deposits.....

Business By Saharan1965 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm by costumeczar

Saharan1965 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 10

What is your cancellation and deposit policy? How do you charge for delivery? And how do you handle rush orders and extra fees? Writing up my business plans dn trying to figure out things.......

9 replies
fondantflubber Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 10

what's a deposit for? i think after a different thread i was in earlier i should figure this stuff out.

leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #3 of 10

25% NON refundable for any reason deposit, balance due 21 days ahead. Delivery/assembly $50 most places. Unless the cake has some kind of complicated assembly like 15 dozen roses between the tiers.

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 10

My policy was 50% down, non-refundable. Any payments made became non-refundable.

Be sure this is in the contract. I had a couple of brides last year that I had to send them the cut-n-paste from the contract to show them why it was non-refundable.

redheadfairy2003 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 10

50% down and non refundable and the balance due 3 weeks ahead of due date. Delivery charge- local is free for any thing over 150.00 . Out of town starts at 15.00 and up depends on travel time.

muddpuppy Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 10

Am I the only one with a refundable deposit?! lol.. wow...maybe I should re-think...

cakesdivine Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 10

I charge a minimum deposit of $300, if the cake is under $400 they pay in full at time of booking, over $600 then 50% down and like Indy, always non-refundable as is any further payments made prior to event. I require the balance 2 weeks prior to event as well. I only accept cash, Paypal, & credit cards, absolutely will NOT accept a check for payment. They get a courtesy reminder via email and phone one week prior to final balance due. If they miss the deadline they get one more courtesy email and phone call the day after deadline informing them that if payment is not received by 5pm of that day their cake order will be cancelled and all funds paid forfeited. Only had one instance where a bride didn't pay on time and came begging me with cash in hand a few days before the event. I added a $50 contract reinstatement fee and she coughed it up too. So I made her cake. Most clients do pay on time, it is always those one or two that don't seem to think that the contract they signed really applies to them.

KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 10

30% down non-refundable deposit, unless they cancel 6 months prior to the wedding (I figure 6 months gives me ample time to refill the slot), final balance due 3 weeks before event, if paying by check, check must clear by this date. Anything past that 3 week mark and they get a $25/day charge added on and "risk possible forfeiture of date and confections"

$25 set up fee (regardless of size of cakes/cupcakes,etc)

any order with less than 2 days notice incurs a rush fee (for wedding cakes, anything less than 2 weeks gets a rush fee of $25/day added onto cost of cake)

elliespartycake Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 10

For wedding cakes I require a 25% deposit to secure their date...nonrefundable. Once the date is secured I take no other orders for that day...so if they were to cancel I'd be SOL. This way I'd at least have 25%. The balance is due 2 weeks before the date. So far no problems.

costumeczar Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 10

Whatever you do, spell it out in the contract. There should be a non-refundable deposit regardless of how much it is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%