Wilton Courses - Kits And Supplies???

Decorating By Sugar_Bunny Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm by SPCC

Sugar_Bunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Bunny Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 4

A question for those who have taken the Wilton courses; I'm starting Wilton Course 1 next week and I was wondering if it's necessary to purchase the course kits or would I be better off buying the 101 Piece Tool Caddy? I'm eventually most likely going to take 2, 3 & the Fondant and Gum Paste courses.

Are there extra tools or supplies that are in the course kits that aren't in the 101 piece tool caddy which I'd have to purchase separately?

I saw the 101 piece tool caddy at Michael's for $150.00 and I have a 40% of coupon so it would cost me $90.00. What are you thoughts?

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 4

WMI here, I always give my students the options of the course kit or the 101 piece kit. The 101 piece kit will have everything that is in the course 1 student kit, plus more. You get icing colors, plastic bags, additional tips, more spatulas, cake leveler, bake even strips and many other things.

I'd say atleast half my students go for the 101 piece tool box (using a coupon, of course) and half go for the Course 1 kit.

Something to keep in mind is that the 101 piece tool box has lots of goodies in it, but they are more o fthe things you will use at home. Even if you purchase the 101 tool box you will still need to purchase the other kits for the other classes, because those items are not included in it.

You will need to buy meringue powder and maybe a turn table, but if you get the 101 piece kit you should be pretty set. If you buy the course 1 kit you will will need addition bags, icing colors in addition to the meringue powder at the very least.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 4

I would go with the 101 pc tool kit if you think you will advance to the other courses. It will save you a lot if you do. I wish I had and I've done all the courses.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 4

I am in course 1 now and I bought all the supplies seperately. (I had great coupons) I will look at the course 2 box and see what I have and what I need but not worth buying the kit if I have half of it already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%