Basic Fondant Questions--Please Help. :)

Decorating By humminbird712 Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm by Marianna46

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:17am
post #31 of 39

I just checked and couldn't find it on Creative Kitchen online. They do have the smaller silicone mats for baking though. Maybe they'd work for smaller projects? I just gave in and ordered mine on Amazon for 36.95 plus shipping. Threw in a silicone pastry brush to boot, woo hoo!!! Been putting that one off for a while too. Boy, when I really think about it I can be so damn cheap sometimes icon_cry.gif

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanikesmom

I use the Wilton 'Roll and Cut' mat for rolling out fondant. I dust the mat with a 50/50 blend of cornstarch and powder sugar. It works really nice and it has measurements on it so once you figure out how much fondant you need, you can see exactly when you can stop.

My only complaint about it: the 'cut' part is misleading. I was using an Exacto Knife to cut some shapes out of fondant thinking that I could on this 'Roll and Cut' mat - but the knife ending up cutting holes in the mat. So, I need to get a new one. It's about $9.99 and can be found at Michael's or other craft stores with Wilton products.

I have the same mat, I have a problem keeping it in place. It slides all over the table when I'm rolling. Gets very frustrating! I've tried taping it down but it doesn't work. I usually end up throwing it aside and rolling it out on the table.
I've tried using cornstarch, and switched to powdered sugar after seeing the Norm youtube video. I use a lot of crisco too. Next time I'm going to try just crisco - if nothing else it keeps it shiny!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #33 of 39

To get your mat to stay in place, wet the counter top (more than if you were just wiping it off) and then put the mat on there. It will stay where you want it then.

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #34 of 39

I'll try that - thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:35pm
post #35 of 39

I use the wilton mat under a large sheet of clear vinyl (bought the vinyl at Joannes for about $5) I like the wilton mat for the mearsurements on it and the large vinyl sheet holds the wilton mat down, is easy to roll on with little or no ps and I cam also lift the mat and flip the fondant over onto the cake. Cheap and so easy, hth

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #36 of 39

I've learned so much from this thread, I'm amazed. And I thought I already knew how to work with fondant! Thanks for all the information and the links to tutorials. I watched the Norm Davis videos just in time to use the information on a cake that I was decorating at the time. What a difference they made! I can't wait till the next cake so I can try out the Crisco method!!

Marianna46 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:02pm
post #37 of 39

By the way, I forgot to thank pattycakesnj for the suggestion about the Wilton mat and the vinyl. I have both of those and I never thought of using them together. I'd love to have the Ateco mat, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get hold of it anytime soon, so thanks for the idea, pattycakes, 'cause I'm dying to try out the Crisco thing.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #38 of 39

If you are making cakes for your family and friends OK but if you are in business and the cakes are for sale, you need to know that the clear vinyl in the craft section has not been tested or approved for food.

Marianna46 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #39 of 39

Thanks for the info, sadsmile, I'll start looking for something that's food safe. I'm still basically an amateur, but I hope to be taking orders sometime in the not-too-distant future, so your point is well taken. Fortunately, I've had no problems yet, and I hope to avoid them in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%