Royal Icing Recipes

Baking By Eatmoorecakes Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm by Eatmoorecakes

Eatmoorecakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 4

Hi every one I am looking for a strong recipes for royal icing to make decorative lace for cakes. The one I have now is not strong or does not get hard enough.

3 replies
roxie007 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 4

While I'm not an expert, I often use RI for cookies, and use the Wilton recipe (3 tbsp of meringue powder) and 1lb icing sugar, approx 5 tbsp of water (check their website, I cant' quite remember), and it works very well at the thicker consistency.

I had a pastry chef once show me RI with real egg whites and it seemed much more appropriate for piping on a cake.
You can really play around with how much icing sugar you add, just keep working it to find the right consistency- and rather than water, you can add fresh lemon juice to thin it as needed.

I hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

ninatat Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 4

Hi i've used ri with flowers, and they came out nice, but i've tried crowns, different way's found out you need to put at least 3 coats dried between and carefully removing from parchment still have broke, lace would seem really delicate for what you want for a cake. putting it directly on the cake shouldn't be is good , but personally i don't like ri on cakes, especially wedding cakes, you end up with a crunchy cake. and we all know ri can break teeth. just a thought how about a mold, mat, or bc piping, you can use piping gel from a pattern lay it against the cake and pipe

Eatmoorecakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both i have tried royal icing for a crown and end up with little crumbs i had to puzzle together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%