Shiny Fondant

Decorating By cakebakinmom Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 4:50am by sharlanet

cakebakinmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebakinmom Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 9

How do I get a shiny fondant finish on my cakes?

8 replies
karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 9

There are a couple of ways that I know of - first is use put a coat of shortening on the fondant (i do this to get rid of the corn starch with a paper towel and rub it in) or second option is from Buddy on Cake Boss, he uses a steamer (i can't afford that!)

Hopefully others will chime in with what they do. icon_smile.gif

HTH's
Karen

ginsum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginsum Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 9

You can get a clothes steamer at CVS drug stores for around $15 or $20. That is what I use to steam my gum paste flowers and it works great. I learned about it in a Nicholas Lodge class.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 9

Yep, the easiest way is to use a steamer. I use it on absolutely every cake I do now! It removes all of the cornstarch/ps residue and leaves a nice shiny finish!

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:42am
post #5 of 9

So here is my dumb question de jour...does it stay shiny with a steamer??? I steamed some flowers over a boiling kettle, they looked great for an hour or so, then the shine went away. Is there an additional step to lock in the shine??

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:56am
post #6 of 9

I've used Pam before on a cake for shine. I've seen Buddy use the steamer for shine. Think I'll try it this week on my cakes!

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #7 of 9

I would also like to know how long it will stay shiny for?? I love the look of it this way. Thanks

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:50am
post #8 of 9

I used 50/50 vodka corn syrup and it worked great. Stayed shiny and dries to the touch.

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:50am
post #9 of 9

I used 50/50 vodka corn syrup and it worked great. Stayed shiny and dries to the touch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%