Make Black Icing?

Decorating By pinky73 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm by Tiffany29

pinky73 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 18

I'm REALLY new to this so please bear with me and my irritating questions. Does anyone have any tips on making good black icing? I use regular buttercream with half butter half shortening. I have some Wilton gel color but am considering ordering some Americolor that others rave about. I also use glaze on cookies and wondered if there is a different approach to making black in that case because of the thinner consistency. Does using a lot of color alter the taste of the icing? I usually stay away from deep dark colors out of fear that I won't get the result I am looking for, but it's time to put on my big girl pants and get with the program. Any tips or ideas you experianced pros have would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Laura

17 replies
candycakes51 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 18

I am certainly no pro, but I was taught to make black icing by replacing about 1/3 of the powdered sugar in your buttercream recipe with powdered cocoa (the real stuff, not the "Quick" instant drink kind). This will darken your icing so that you don't have to use as much color. It works great for red as well. The color will darken as the icing sets so you should make your icing well ahead of starting your project.

Hope this helps.

pinky73 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 18

What a great idea! I never thought of that but it makes lots of sense...thank you so much! I will give this a try!

Tiffany29 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 18

To make black, I like to start with chocolate icing.

Ballymena Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:44am
post #5 of 18

Tiffany is right. If you use Dutch cocoa to make your chocolate icing it will be a really dark brown. This decreases the amount of black you have to add.

pinky73 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks everyone, I will try adding the cocoa to my icing and go from there. I will try this with the Wilton Black I have and I am ordering some americolor super black today...just to compare. I appreciate the tips!

Tiffany29 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 18

Everyone says americolor is great. I haven't tried them yet.
I have the wilton black now. I noticed the past few times I started with choc. frosting, I didn't have to use as much.

pinky73 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 18

Tiffany, I've heard that too..about the Americolor colorings. I'm excited to try them and am eagerly anticipating the UPS man with my package of goodies.

hails Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 18

I made a spiderman cake a couple of weeks ago and almost went crazy because ended up using a whole thing of wilton black and then it was so bitter I had to throw it away it was terrible.
So then I also started of my new batch with choc icing it still needed quite a bit of black but I used the black with no taste so at least it was not bitter...lol
so now I always try find the dark colors with no taste icon_smile.gif
Good luck have a great day!!!!!

Tiffany29 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 18

Let us know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 18

Americolor black works better for me - I also used it with good results in RI. It was dark gray while wet, but it dried to black.

pinky73 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 18

Good tip about getting color that is No Taste...I have heard that about red coloring and have stayed away from using red for that reason, once again, it's time for me to get with the program and branch out. lol Also, it's good to know that when using RI, the color might look dark gray but dry to black...I would have kept adding color and not given a thought to what it might look like dried...thanks for letting us know about that! You all are a wealth of information and I am glad that you are willing to share with me.

hails Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 18

Everyone is talking about Americolor, I have not heard of it. Where could I buy it? Thanks ladies and gents have a great day!!!

pinky73 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 18

I don't know too much about Americolor either , only what I've heard from this website. People seem to like it better than Wilton. I had to go online to find places to purchase it seeing as I'm in a part of the country that doesn't have any cake supply shops. Global Sugar Art sells it, assorted caking suppliers...I just googled and then went from there.

Tiffany29 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 18
hails Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks Pinky and Tiffany you rock icon_smile.gif

pinky73 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:19pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks for the link Tiffany!

Tiffany29 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #18 of 18

You are welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%