Has Anyone Tried This

Decorating By paula1234 Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm by paula1234

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 6

I am sure that there are other people that has tried this. My cub scout pack is having their Blue and Gold Banquet this weekend and it is a very big deal. I was volunteered to make a 5 tier cake with each tier having a different theme pertaining to cub scouts. I asked for help from the cc's people on how to cover cake dummies.

At the time I thought about covering them in fondant. Looked online and found the perma-ice. Looked really interesting until I saw the price. Went to Home Depot for my cake stand parts and wondered through the paint isle, come across the spackling for patching up holes in your walls.

I had a small piece of styrofoam at home and purchased a small container of the spackle, went on pink and when dried, it is white, can be painted etc. Put in on the styrofoam and when it dried I sanded it. Worked like a charm.

I just finished all tiers, 18, 16, 14, 12, and 10 inch. I've got 2 tiers sanded and let me tell you they look great!!!!!! I am so excited!! I was really nervous about doing dummies, never done them before.

Our Cub Master informed me that the cake was going in March to Woodbadge camp, so now I am really glad that I did the spackling thing. Just had to share!

5 replies
Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:51am
post #2 of 6

Sounds great!!Can you post pictures for a better understanding of this idea?

paula1234 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:02am
post #3 of 6

I will try. What I did was I got a very cheap putty knife (plastic) and applied it like it was buttercream. I put a thick layer on, so when I sanded it with sand paper to get it smooth, I wouldn't hit the styrofoam. Basically you can use the putty like your buttercream or RI. When I paint it I will probably use acrylic paints. Our Cub Master does not want any thing edible on the cake since we are going to be using fireworks on the cake. I haven't posted any of my pictures, I will get my son to help me do this.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 6

I don't quite understand, you are doing a cake for a banquet but it's all out of dummies? Are you making them cake to eat also?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I don't quite understand, you are doing a cake for a banquet but it's all out of dummies? Are you making them cake to eat also?

Kinda wondering the same thing myself icon_confused.gif .

paula1234 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 6

I guess I forgot to mention that the boys are having to bake a cake with an adult partner for a cake contest. The reason I am doing the cake out of dummies is because there will be fireworks shooting out of the cake. I am afraid we will have over 50 cakes there. We are bringing in another local decorator to judge the cakes. My three boys will be in the adult catagory, so I didn't think it would be fair if I judged any of the cakes, especially since I have the biggest den.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%