Royal Icing Flowers Melting On Smbc??

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 12:34am by maendings

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 6

Do royal icing flowers melt when used on a SMBC cake? I could have sworn I had this issue before, and it makes sense b/c of it being all butter, but I have to ask before I start my next cake!! Thanks so much for the help. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 6

If the RI flowers are completely dried, they should not be affected by the BC.

cakelady11215 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 6

ok, i will be sure to have them done a few days before. thanks so much!

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:01am
post #4 of 6

Royal icing flowers will melt on any buttercream that is butter based. the only way to get around it is to put the flowers on at the last minute and you have about 2-3 hours before they start to break down. I didn't know this until it happened to me- a 'royal mess on some IMBC. I had made a full sheet carrot cake and mad 53 little carrots!! I even remade them and the same thing happened I called my Wilton instructor and told her what happened and she told me the grease from the butter melts them. I asked her why didn't she tell us that in the class and she says she only makes the Wilton buttercream. I did a test run on how long they could last on some cupcakes for a bridal shower and that's the time that I got.

cakelady11215 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 6

Yikes...now i'm a little afraid. i am delivering the cake around 1 but I have no idea what time they're serving it. i would hate to give them a time frame saying the flowers are going to melt! lol...maybe i should just try to make them out of a stiff buttercream...

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:34am
post #6 of 6

I think I would make them out of IMBC to be on the safe side. I know they look prettier, colors brighter, out of royal but you can't put sugar flowers on butter. I did ask once about gumpaste on IMBC on Rose's website and people replied that they did do that or what about modeling chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%