How Did They Create This Design...stencil? Fondant? Gumpaste

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm by Omicake

Jannie92869 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 24

I need your input on the attached picture. How do you think it was created? I was looking for a stencil that is similar in pattern..but couldn't find one. I even wondered about having a stencil made...if so..who have you used to make stencils?

Also...in order to get the silver color...would you use royal icing or buttercream with the stencil? Mix the silver color in prior to stenciling? Those stencils are so hard to keep in place!

Any suggestions?
LL

23 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 24

I use stencilease.com for stencils, great customer service.
I stencil in RI and for the silver, I would probably use white RI and paint after
The dark color, I would just stencil with that color
If you have someone around to help, have them hold the stencil in place. If not, just take your time and hold with your free hand splayed out, using all fingers. Good luck

kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 24

They could be made using cutters.......not sure but check the online site for cutters.
That would also make getting silver easier icon_smile.gif Just color the fondant.

pattycakesnj Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 24

or maybe they used a cricut to cut the shape from fondant

Jannie92869 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 24

Thank you for all your supplies. I am going to keep looking for both cutters or stencils. When you say cutters..what exactly am I looking for? Would I roll the fondant really thin and then use something in a cookie cutter effect...a JEM? I know not an actual cookie cutter..but I am just trying to see what I am looking for.

How would you do the silver royal icing?

Thanks for your help.

Jannie92869 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:57am
post #6 of 24

Thanks for your response. Any other suggestions?

mamawrobin Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:53am
post #7 of 24

That looks like cricut work to me. Notice the design on the cakeboard.

Jannie92869 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 24

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea how to use the cricut. I guess I better check into it...the wedding is in 4 months...gotta figure out something.

Thanks

Jannie92869 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 24

I'm still trying to find the "perfect" solution to make this cake design. Someone suggested doing fondant pieces with Stephen Benison cutters. Thank you for that suggestion..I just placed the order and will have to let you all know how that works.

Question with using these cutters: The cake is buttercream......I roll the fondant very thin...use the cutter....dab a bit of water on the back and then attach? I am trying to see how I will attach without pressing into fondant piece or making a dent into buttercream?

Thanks for your help.
LL

ayerim979 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 24

Now that I saw all the great stuff the cricut can do, Im going to say that , maybe they used a cricuit to cut the scroll work

jillmakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 24

Have you tried contacting the original cake creator? I've found most people are more than helpful as long as you ask nicely icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 24

I recognize nearly every one of those shapes becauue I have all those cutters. Absolutely that cake was made with a variety of cutters.

Jannie92869 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 24

I am not for sure who the original creator is but I have sent a pm to EVERYONE who did something similiar. That is where I received the idea to order some of these Stephen Benison cutters. I did do a shop around to find the best price because these cutters were very expensive on some sites. Some of the people I pm'd told me they did it free hand...my hands aren't that steady so I would need the assistance of the cutters.

Leah_s..when you used these before how did you go about attaching? I will be attaching to buttercream. I was thinking to dab the back with water and attached the fondant which will be rolled very thin. You stated a variety of cutters were used...I believe the Silouette cutters are the main...but I also purchased...Triple & double leaf scroll, arabasque and art deco.

Thank you all for your speedy replies.

FierceConfections Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #14 of 24

It reminds me of a Rylan cake...

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 24

If your bc hasn't crusted, you can just slap those cut outs on.

What are Silouette cutters?

KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 24

depending on how expensive all the cutters will run you, I'dlook into just getting the cricut! Then you won't be limited to JUST those shapes either!

Jannie92869 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 24

Leah_s, the siloutte cutters was one of the Stephen Benison set that I thought I could use in a similiar pattern. Do you by chance remember the names of some of your cutters that might be similar to this pattern? And you said to apply before it crust ....I was thinking that would give me more of a chance of putting a dent that's why I was going to wait until after to place on the fondant pieces on the buttercream.

Khalstead...I already placed my order this a.m. I don't know much about the cricut except...that it seems to be the new thing to do...but I have looked at them in the store. Probably will end up getting it eventually.

Thanks

Sagebrush Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:22pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

depending on how expensive all the cutters will run you, I'dlook into just getting the cricut! Then you won't be limited to JUST those shapes either!

Hello... I just had a DUH! slap your forehead moment. I've so been eyeing all those great damask-type cutters, while wishing I could ever afford a cricut (too). Silly me... if I just skipped out on the cutters, I'd have the cricut at least half paid for.

Thank you! It always amazes me some of the obvious things I completely overlook.

Jannie92869 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:45pm
post #19 of 24

Yes, almost the cricut would be almost half paid for. LOL

Jo-melia Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Hello... I just had a DUH! slap your forehead moment.

I did the same thing! It suddenly dawned on me that I have a long list of cutters on my 'wish list' that all together would cost way more than a cricut, which I have been putting off looking at because it's 'too expensive'! lol!

Jannie92869 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #21 of 24

I'm just thinking...Wow...I wish I had though of that idea earlier.LOL

Jannie92869 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:44pm
post #22 of 24

OK......I have the Stephen Benison cutters that I previously talked about. My question now is......

I rolled the fondant thin....BUT when I got ready to pick the piece up from the mat with my palette knife....it began to loose its shape. I am applying this to buttercream and don't want to dent it. Should I let the fondant stiffen up and dry a bit?

Now I am looking at shape and application issues..at least I have the cutters.

Now what?

Thanks

cas17 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie92869

OK......I have the Stephen Benison cutters that I previously talked about. My question now is......

I rolled the fondant thin....BUT when I got ready to pick the piece up from the mat with my palette knife....it began to loose its shape. I am applying this to buttercream and don't want to dent it. Should I let the fondant stiffen up and dry a bit?

Now I am looking at shape and application issues..at least I have the cutters.

Now what?

Thanks

i like to add a little sprinkle of tylose to help the fondant keep its shape. you can also let the fondant firm up a bit after you roll it out (5-10 min) before placing the pieces onto your fully crusted cake--so you don't ding it up. i just dab a tiny bit of water on the back to get it to stick.

Omicake Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #24 of 24

I believe that the cake in this post is Ron Ben Israel's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%