Is Smbc Suitable For Piping Details?

Decorating By tsal Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 2:24am by prterrell

tsal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I LOVE icing my cakes in SMBC, but I'm wondering if it's suitable for piping details like ropes and scrolls around a cake? I find that it's either really soft and when I put it in the fridge, it gets too hard.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and should use another b/c recipe for detail work?

Anyone have any suggestions?

5 replies
 tenleysmommy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 6

I made a cake with IMBC last night and had no trouble with my roses, leaves or vines.I let it chill for about 5 min in the fridge before I piped.hth

drakegore  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

i can manage most things with smbc, but i have real trouble with roses (though i know a lot of people on cc DO make smbc roses).

i saw a seriouscakes video where she took two cake pans filled with a layer of water (which was then frozen) and used it as her mini-freezer...i loved that idea and have used it ever since. i just fill two bags and use one while the other sits on my counter in the mini-freezer...and then when my smbc gets to soft to hold shape well, i switch bags. just make sure the metal tip is not on the frozen pan or gets clogged with too cold buttercream.

diane

tsal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, Diane! I will make a mini freezer next time. icon_smile.gif

drakegore  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 6

i forgot to add: if you are leaving your bags on the "mini-freezer" for more than 5 minutes, it's a good idea to turn the bags over once in a while.

prterrell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

I tend to have hot hands, so I will only fill the bag with a small amount, so I'm not heating up a lot of the BC and I will dip my hands periodically in ice water to chill them down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%