Is Smbc Suitable For Piping Details?

Decorating By tsal Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 2:24am by prterrell

tsal Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 6

I LOVE icing my cakes in SMBC, but I'm wondering if it's suitable for piping details like ropes and scrolls around a cake? I find that it's either really soft and when I put it in the fridge, it gets too hard.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and should use another b/c recipe for detail work?

Anyone have any suggestions?

5 replies
tenleysmommy Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 6

I made a cake with IMBC last night and had no trouble with my roses, leaves or vines.I let it chill for about 5 min in the fridge before I piped.hth

drakegore Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

i can manage most things with smbc, but i have real trouble with roses (though i know a lot of people on cc DO make smbc roses).

i saw a seriouscakes video where she took two cake pans filled with a layer of water (which was then frozen) and used it as her mini-freezer...i loved that idea and have used it ever since. i just fill two bags and use one while the other sits on my counter in the mini-freezer...and then when my smbc gets to soft to hold shape well, i switch bags. just make sure the metal tip is not on the frozen pan or gets clogged with too cold buttercream.

tsal Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, Diane! I will make a mini freezer next time. icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 6

i forgot to add: if you are leaving your bags on the "mini-freezer" for more than 5 minutes, it's a good idea to turn the bags over once in a while.

prterrell Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

I tend to have hot hands, so I will only fill the bag with a small amount, so I'm not heating up a lot of the BC and I will dip my hands periodically in ice water to chill them down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%