Gumpaste

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm by kakeladi

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 7

Hello again CC'ers, I am now trying to really start learning about cake decorating that I haven't really tried or am have used rarely. My question for this post is gumpaste. I have never used gumpaste and would like to hear pro's or con's to it and the best way to make it? Also, what would you use it for? I am just trying to expand my cake decorating knowledge. Thanks for your replies.
Bradymom

6 replies
Bradymom6 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 7

Just making sure this made it out there, I have been having some computer problems so any advice would be great.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 7

Well, ma'am, you need to give these good folks a few more than seventeen minutes to respond.

Bradymom6 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry, Internet Explorer crashed on me as I sent the post so wasn't sure if it went through.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 7

Yup, it sure did!

Bradymom6 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I do appreciate the response. My computer has been acting crazy the last few days. :p

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 7

Have you used any fondant decorations?
Gumpaste is excellent for making realistic flowers and other decorations.
I have used fondant to make some but gp will roll out much thinner for better looking results.
You do have to work somewhat quickly as it does dry out. There are many tricks to keeping it covered (cut out pieces) until ready to use. Check out the many You Tube videos that should help you learn some.
The best way to make it is to use Nic Lodge's recipe! Basically one makes royal icing and adds Tylose to it - simple, easy, wonderful to work with; however I have had different results over the m,any times I made it....sometimes too soft & sticky; sometimes dry; usually just right. I'm sure it has to do with weather &/or the sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%