Friends Of Friends Asking For Cakes At Cost

Decorating By tsal Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm by tw1nkle

tsal Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 6

I don't have a business, but when I make a cake for friends, I do expect them to cover my material costs.

A friend just called me up and said that her friend wants a carved cake for $60!! I said absolutely not, and that if her friend called a professional, she would be charged a few hundred dollars for such a cake.

Then she said that it doesn't have to be carved and that it could be something simple, to which i said 'my labour costs would be worth more than $60 for a simple cake with themed details on it.'. I then referred her to Walmart where they can make a themed cake for her friend in her price range.

She seemed rather shocked. Do you think I was out of line? I was being honest.

5 replies
Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 6

No, bay..... SHE was out of line. Kudos to you for standing your ground and saying NO.

Just because they want something for a certain price does absolutely NOT mean you have to accommodate them.

JCE62108 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

I will do cakes for friends and family at cost....rounded up of course. I had a friend of a friend talk me into doing a carved motorcycle cake with a chihuahua riding on it for $60. Im kicking myself. Dont worry about it, your not out of line at all.

rosiecast Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 6

The nerve of some people. LOL

You are soo not out of line. I think she was out of line for offering your services for cheap without asking you first.

JCE- do you have the pic of that cake here? I would love to see it. lol

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 6

NO is a beautiful word and it feels better every time you say it icon_biggrin.gif

I think you did fine. If you wanted to soften the blow, you could explain that you don't have a business and although they reimburse you for the supplies, you make a gift of your time when friends and family ask for a cake, but that you don't want to make a gift of your time to people who you don't know.

tw1nkle Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

Stick to your guns with your prices! If you make it for less, you will only end up hating yourself for not being stronger.

Quote by @%username% on %date%