Question About Making Bread

Lounge By AngelaM Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 6:32pm by artscallion

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 8

After the second rise, do you have to bake it immediately or can you wait?

Sometimes I start it early in the afternoon but dinner's not until 6:00 or so, and by then the bread's not warm anymore so I'm wondering if it can sit awhile until I'm ready to bake it.

7 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 8

I would not let it sit too long. You can always punch it down and give it a third rise.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 8

No you can't wait. It will turn to a flopped/deflated bread pancake.
What kind of bread is it? Then I'll have exact directions to have toasty just baked bread for din din.

Mike

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 8

If it sits too long it gets weird air bubbles, or it will rise over the pan and then fall.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 8

An extremely important part of the bread making process is to let it sit and cool once it is done baking. The flavor/texture improves as it cools. Therefore, you should still bake it in the afternoon and by the time dinner is ready, it should have cooled properly.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 8

Ok I've got to run. Have to go get some sorbitol, and caramel rulers icon_biggrin.gif

Back to the bread. I'm assuming this is a basic bread. Your final intenal temp wants to br 205-210.

So you want to bake it when it's ready to 175-180. This will let the interior structure set. You want your bread to sit/rest 20 minutes before cutting. So if you put it back in the oven about 45 minutes before din din your golden.

Mike

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the replies guys. icon_smile.gif

Mike, it's french bread. So you're saying I can bake it partially and then finish it off before dinner? That's awesome, I had no idea you could do that.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 8

Most cafe sandwich places, like Au Bon Pain (sp), don't bake their own bread. they buy it in cases, partially baked and frozen. Then they finish them off in their own ovens as they need them. We did this in a sandwich shop I used to work at. They came out as good and fresh tasting as you can imagine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%