Black Fondant - Make Or Buy

Decorating By ultrakat Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm by ultrakat

ultrakat Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 10

Having a hard time getting a true enough black mmf - used both powder and gel trying to get it dark enough. I let it sit overnight, hopefully will be darker today. Should i just buy it in the future?

9 replies
AngelaM Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 10

The two colors I always buy are black and red.

Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 10

Me too, angela. I never make fondant, I buy it. I color most colors myself, but black and red are the two that I use ready-made.

galliesway Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 10
tw1nkle Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 10

Buy definitely! Like a poster before, I always buy premade red and black.

luvmysmoother Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 10

I just made a ladybug cake and needed to make red and black using homemade mmf. OMG - if Satinice was available where I live I'd NEVER make it again (so much kneading and messy food colour involved!!! My arms are sore today) To make the black I had to use everything in my baking arsenal (a tbsp of semi sweet choc chips, 1/3 cup of cocoa, 1/4 vial of black gel paste and shortening to intensify the black - to make approx 1/2 pound of black fondant) Normally my mmf consists of marshies and icing sugar - absolutely nothing else. I don't even bother to add water, shortening, or vanilla to it most of the time knowing most people don't bother to eat it plus it tastes fine without it. It was worth it - the black turned totally black - but for sure I'd rather have an easy way out of it if possibleicon_smile.gif I have enough leftover black for a couple more projects so I'm happy for nowicon_smile.gif

laurs_1981 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 10

for black i usually start w/ a chocolate mmf using DARK colour it black from there is quite simple!....but wear gloves!!!!!!....i walked around w/ purple hands for a few days the first time! haha

tracycakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #8 of 10

To save money, use all of your know those odd colors you mixed and never use again. Mix them together and then add black paste. It really doesn't take much and it saves you money. I learned that tip from Bronwen Weber.

ultrakat Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks every one fo you help - i used the true black recipe above, slightly modified because i ran out of both black gel and powder. ended up using liquid black food color in place of some of the water (2 Tbs) in the recipe.
I'd love to show you a picture but i cant figure out to attatch it. I did upload some pictures of it here somewhere but i'm too new to know my way aound yet icon_redface.gif

ultrakat Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 10

Nevermind, i see my pictures now icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%