Pineapple Filling Help

Baking By CakeandDazzle Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 1:19am by cownsj

CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 18

Im doing coconut cake, which i usually fill with a coconut smbc, but was asked to do a pineapple filling instead....
I don't know what to make for it though... I hate pineapple so the thought of this grosses me out... does anyone have any good recipes? and do i just do a like pineapple puree or a creamy pineapple something??? Please help!

17 replies
artscallion Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 18

You could use pineapple sleeve filling. Or buy a can/jar of either pineapple pie filling or pineapple preserves. I would buy pineapple preserves and mix it with a little buttercream to get a kind of pineapple mousse effect.

kiki07 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 18

Here's one

2 egg yolks
3 TBSP sugar
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped

Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon colored. Add pineapple juice. Cook and stir over low hear until thick, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and add marshmallows. Chill. Fold in vanilla and whipped cream.

This is the other one I have

1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 slightly beaten egg
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar

Mix 1/4 cup sugar and flour. Combine egg and 3 tbsp cold walter; add to sugar flour mixture. Heat juices; slowly stir small amount into egg mixture; return to hot mixture. Cook over low heat till thick. Chill. Whip cream with 2 tbsp sugar. Fold into juice mixture.

I have never used either, but I think the first one sounds easier and both will give you a creamy pineapple filling.
You can also put a can of crushed pineapple and some corn starch in a pan and cook it till it is thick and bubbly for a non-creamy filling.

tatorchip Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 18

this is what I use with some of my chocolate cakes

1 can pineapple (drained) 16 oz.
1/2 half cup sugar

puree drained pineapple in blender

put pureed pineapple in pan add surgar and simmer till thick (med-low heat)

let cool to room tempature then use as filling.

Rosa2745 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 18

I just use a sleeve filling and add in additional crushed canned pineapple. It's really good.

SandiOh Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 18

I cook a can of crushed pineapple with the juice, added lemon juice and zest, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and a vanilla bean until it is thickened and gel like (this is adapted from Sky high 3 layer cakes).

You can use this straight up or mix it in some S/MBC or even cream cheese frosting.

It's a favorite of mine.

djs328 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 18

I did a pineapple cream cheese filling in a coconut cake a while back. Just mixed in a jar of pineapple ice cream topping and some pina colada LorAnn. Was delish!!
HTH!

cownsj Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 18

I use this recipe all the time, and I make a pina colada cake. Vanilla cake, pineapple filling, coconut BC frosting and shredded coconut on top. It's easy and DELICIOUS.....

PINEAPPLE CAKE FILLING
Printed from Epicurious.com

1 (20-oz) can crushed pineapple, including juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Make pineapple filling: Stir together filling ingredients in a heavy saucepan until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then simmer, stirring, 3 minutes. Cool filling completely, stirring occasionally

nwnest Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 18

Gosh, I wish I had seen all of this before last weekend when I made pineapple curd, had it come out runny, and spent hours worrying about it before dumping half of it into a batch of cream cheese icing. It all came out fine, but this would have saved me a ton of time.

CakeandDazzle Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 18

thanks everyone for the great ideas!! Think im going to use the easiest one! (crushed pineapple & cornstarch!!) thanks again!

cownsj Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

thanks everyone for the great ideas!! Think im going to use the easiest one! (crushed pineapple & cornstarch!!) thanks again!

Let me know what you think. I know I love it, but I also try to be sure that I'm using the best tasting recipes for people, and to have more than one opinion is always a good thing.

CakeandDazzle Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:

Let me know what you think. I know I love it, but I also try to be sure that I'm using the best tasting recipes for people, and to have more than one opinion is always a good thing.

yes i will thank you! do you think i could ice the cake in coconut buttercream (smbc with coconut flakes) and cover it with fondant???? That is how my coconut cake is supposed to be, but with the fondant of course didnt, but maybe it will work????

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 18

Boy all of these pineapple fillings sound delish!! icon_lol.gif

cownsj Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 18

So how did your cake turn out? Were you and your client happy with it?

CakeandDazzle Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 18

It turned out great!! !Thanks for following up! She actually loved the whole cake so much she offered me an amazing business opportunity! She has a buisness and im going to do the grand opening (1000+ people & 2 dummies) and we are going to do a when a client books a party I offer a discount on the cake (good idea??)
Sorry i know you just asked about a filling but i havent been able to post about this yet....

cownsj Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:

It turned out great!! !Thanks for following up! She actually loved the whole cake so much she offered me an amazing business opportunity! She has a buisness and im going to do the grand opening (1000+ people & 2 dummies) and we are going to do a when a client books a party I offer a discount on the cake (good idea??)
Sorry i know you just asked about a filling but i havent been able to post about this yet....

HOLY COW. Filling? what filling? Forget that, your news is so much more exciting. WOW! WOW! WOW! That is so great, I'm so happy for you. And yes, I love the idea of the discount. Share more details, this is so exciting, I can't tell you how happy I am for you. Don't hear these kind of stories everyday.

CakeandDazzle Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 18

lmao
Well the women who ordered the cake & another women is opening a 4000 sf studio I think that does like glmour pictures... well they do bday parties & bridal parties so since she raved about the cake she asked me to advertise with them... and to do the grand opening on the 27th.... we are having a meeting next week to figure things out... i designed the cakes i think... one is for brides & the other is for diva little girls.... it took me forever to figure out what to do & im not sure im happy with them yet.... & then we have to discuss if I need to serve possibly 1000+ people..... and then what type of discount do I give?? thanks for listening! I have been talking left & right to cake muggles so its hard to figure things out!

cownsj Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #18 of 18

Wow, the 27th is right around the corner. I'm sure you'll figure out exactly what you want to be making for them. If not, just post away, I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful info from everyone here. Bounce ideas, thoughts, anything off us. I can't wait to hear how it turns out too, take lots of photos.

Congratulations and good luck with this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%