Pricing/packaging Questions For A Bazaar

Decorating By lovable_lauren3 Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 6:56am by CeeTee

lovable_lauren3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovable_lauren3 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 14

I am living in Germany right now with my military husband and the base we live at has a bazaar twice a year. The spring bazaar is the end of March and I signed up for a booth to sell baked good. I am so nervous about having enough food items for the 3 days. It's estimated that 750 people a day come through to look at all the different vendors.

I wanted to get some opinions about the following things:

What packaging should I use for the different items?

How much should I make of each item?

Are my prices reasonable/too high/too low?

This is the list of items I am making:

Cakes by the slice ($2/slice)

Cupcakes ($4 for 1/2 dozen)

Muffins ($4 for 1/2 dozen )

Cake Truffles ($5 dozen)

Caramel Apples ($3 each)

Premium Caramel Apples ($5 each)

Bread Loafs ($4/loaf)

Cookies ($0.50 each or 3/$1.00)

Pies/Cobblers ($1.00/slice)

Cheesecake ($3.00/slice)

Brownies ($.50 each)

I really appreciate the advice/feedback! Thanks in advance!

13 replies
JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 14

Its hard to say about the pricing. I dont know what things go for there in Germany, but here in FL Id probably charge a bit more...but then again I dont know exactly what the products are that you are offering, and what your cost it, etc. That pricing should ensure you good sales though. That's cheap enough for me! If I were selling my cake slices, I would proably charge 3-4/slice...and it would be a good sized wedge.

lovable_lauren3 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 14

Even though I am in Germany, It's a little bit different because Americans are the majority of the business. For some reason people here do not want to pay nothing for everything. I also have to figure in the cost of my supplies and my booth rental ($110).

I am getting a headache trying to figure out the packaging. I think I have the cupcakes down (boxes with inserts) The cake I was going to cut by the slice and place on plastic plates and wrap them with saran wrap.

My main thing I am trying to figure out is where to get everything from, I normally use Country Kitchen Sweet Art.

JCE62108 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 14

Ack. Ive been trying to get back to this post for 20 minutes. My computer is giving me attitude today. Did you see this post? I would ignore that PM I just sent you and check out those links. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669758.html

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 14

Too low.

Just because people want 'something for nothing' doesn't mean you have to accommodate them

I mean, brownies for fifty cents? Come on! That's like paying folks to take those good, homemade brownies off your hands.

JCE62108 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 14

I agree...here, let me take a stab at what Id charge if I was doing this.....

Cakes by the slice plain flavors, $3.00/slice (good chunk, like cutting an 8" into 8 pieces), $4.00 gourmet type flavors (fillings, cream cheese frostings, any decor like chocolate pieces, curls, etc.)

Cupcakes (6) - $5-$6

Muffins (6) -$5-$6

Cake Truffles (12) $8.00

Caramel Apples $3.00

Premium Caramel Apples ($5 each)

Bread Loafs ($4/loaf)

Cookies ($0.50 each or 3/$1.00) (if these are just baked cookies, no decor, then yeah.) If decorated, $2.50-$5.00/ piece.

Pies/Cobblers ($3.00/slice)

Cheesecake ($4.00/slice)

Brownies ($1.50-2.50 each) depends on the size your making them of course. Maybe 3x3?

lovable_lauren3 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 14

Pricing is always something I struggle with! I have been debating about getting Cake Boss, but as I just run my business out of my home right now, I am not sure I want to pay it yet. I really appreciate the feedback! I wish I could fly about 5 cake central members over here to help me cook! It's going to be crazy that's for sure!

I am going to go check out the links thanks! (and I will be uping my prices!)

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 14

The updated prices look good to me except for the bread loaves. Are they mini or large (regular) loaves? Yeast bread or quick breads? I know when I make a large loaf of quick bread it can easily cost me ATLEAST $6 in ingredients alone, more if it has fresh fruit/nuts in it. I sell these from my home bakery for $10/large loaf, $5/small loaf and am thinking about upping my prices to $12/$7 respectively. Just some more "food for thought." icon_wink.gif

Hope your adventures at the Bazaar go well for you! icon_smile.gif And happy baking icon_wink.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 14

Which base are you at?
I'm a military wife and I can tell you. WE ARE CHEAP!!!!! If you make something on base everyone compares it to the commisary.
I think the cheesecake and pies are a little too much.
I pay $1.25 at the bakery for german chocolate brownies. They are only about two inches wide.
Are you selling sweet breads or breads?

lovable_lauren3 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 14

julz: I am at Spangdahlem, and I KNOW what you mean! icon_smile.gif

I am selling the following types of bread:

Foccacia Loafs

Braided Loafs

Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (bag of a dozen)

Banana nut bread loafs (regular size)

& Dinner rolls (bag of a dozen)

I know spouses compare to the commissary but they can get their items CHEAP, just like commercial grocery stores in the states. I know for a whole cheesecake (frozen) in the commissary here it's $18, and I am doing by the slice with individual packaging.

Thank's Sambug for your input!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #11 of 14

My computer sent the same thing 12 hours later. So I am editing it.
Since I'm one here. My husband is retiring from the AF (he is in Iraq and said THAT'S ENOUGH) and I am trying to get him to take a GS job over in Stuttgart. Do you like it over there? My friend hates it, but I went this summer and really enjoyed myself.

lovable_lauren3 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 14

I love it here! My husband and I travel a lot so we stay busy, but it is so quaint and beautiful here! My husband was born in Stuttgart when his dad was in the Army.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 14

Cheesecake for 4 bucks a slice!!! OMG I go to Chilis and pay a little more then that!!!! And there slice is SMALL! I agree with the above poster, just because I dont want to pay for my truck does not mean the bank is just going to give in a cover it for me!!!

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:56am
post #14 of 14

If you are mostly selling to Americans then they should be fine with paying more. Booth food at Bazaars/Festivals/Events is ALWAYS expensive so it's to be expected. Average I see at the events around here is $7 for a slice of cheesecake, $5 for a slice of cake or pie, $3 for brownies and cupcakes, caramel apples range from $5 (basic) to $12 (delux with tons of addons). A small drink is usually $4 and a hot dog is $6.

Seriously, up those prices!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%