Gel Or Powder Colors??

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 6:07am by ayerim979

mcdonald Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

I never get that bright, vivid color when coloring my icing and was wondering if powder color is better? I currently use gel and have to use so much that it alters my buttercream.. I also use some butter in my butterceam so that does alter it a bit...

Thoughts or ideas.... appreciate it

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 6

I get much brighter colors using shortening only buttercream than I used to when I used butter. I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it but the other day I was running low on crisco so I substituted butter for part of the crisco and couldn't get my frosting deeper than a pastel, even with Americolor gels.

mcdonald Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

I am afraid it is the butter. I like adding butter to my buttercream but might have to cut back a bit.. darn it

chrissypie Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 6

I don't have a problem getting deep colors when using butter, however, I noticec if I made a huge batch of buttercream, enought to fill my mixer, that I could not get a deep color ( if mixing the color into the whole batch).

redheadfairy2003 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #5 of 6

I jsut started useing Ameri Color and I love them ....

ayerim979 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:07am
post #6 of 6

I use americolors and I too love them. I use a half and half of crisco and butter and have not yet had a problem with my colors or maybe haven't had an issue with a specific color

Quote by @%username% on %date%