Getting A Stacked Cake Completely Level

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm by katies_cakes

katies_cakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any tips on getting a tiered stacked cake compleatly level? i have to say i am not very good at cutting a completely straight and level line free-handed. i dont want the cake to look uneven when finished! how does everyone else do it? x

7 replies
tsal Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 8

I use the wilton leveler (which I modified) when leveling a cake.

Eisskween Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 8

I bought a small level at Home Depot and I use it on a paper towel to check that each layer is level after I tort, after laying on fondant and after I stack. Overkill maybe, but nothing worse than worrying about your cake holding up after you leave the venue.

I use the small Wilton leveler, I bought the large, waste of money, it's crap. The small one has a wire, I would much rather use a wire. Come to think about it, maybe I will have the hubby modify the large one for me. The blade on the large one is really junk.

bettinashoe Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 8

I also use a small level from the local hardware store. Works well for me. I only use my Wilton leveler on small cakes as the reviews on the large one were not positive. I really don't even use the small one much anymore as I read in one of the forums a tip on torting by putting toothpicks around the cake at the point where you want to cut the layers. I find this works really well on larger cakes. The level was the best investment I could have made.

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 8

Make sure you cut all of your dowels to the same height. The dowels support the tiers above, so even if the cake was a tiny bit uneven the dowels would still hold the upper tiers as long as the dowels are all even.

I use the small Wilton leveler most of the time. I have the big one but only use it when I have to. I use a sewing gauge to measure height for the dowels and to make sure I cut them all the same height.

katies_cakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all. i thought that there must be some kind of tool available to help with this. i dont suppose anyone could pass on a link to a website where i can buy one? i have no idea what im looking for! lol. x

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 8

Wilton cake leveler:

Level from hardware store:

Sewing gauge:

The only reason I like the sewing gauge better than a plain ruler is that it has the little tab to move to mark the height so I don't have to remember which little mark on the ruler I'm aiming for when I cut everything.

You can get all this stuff at Walmart, no need to order anywhere icon_biggrin.gif Just posted links to it so you'd know what we were talking about.

katies_cakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 8

Im in the uk and we dont have walmart here icon_sad.gif wish we did! so i will have to order online as iv not seen anything like that in my local decorating shop. thank you so much for the links, going to look at them now. x

Quote by @%username% on %date%