What To You Do If You Hate Your Cake?

Decorating By CakeMommyJeni Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm by TexasSugar

CakeMommyJeni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyJeni Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 12

I have a baby shower cake that is due in 3 hours and I HATE it. I don't like how it turned out at all. The client is expecting something fabulous and I just don't feel like I have delivered. It is not 100% done yet, otherwise I would post a pic. I just don't know what to do....Maybe this is just a vent post, lol, but if you guys have any ideas, I like the top of the cake it is a 2 tiered round, bottom is 12 and top is 8, I have the bottom covered in green and I did quilting with white buttons and then the top has a big bow on it with the ribbons going down the side and I put "blocks" inbetween the ribbons. I don't know, it is just not what I was expecting I guess....

11 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 12

Take a step back, relax and walk away for a couple minutes. Come back and take another look. Come up with a plan B, although you don't have much time. Maybe you could finish what you're doing and decide what you could add, take away, or change when you're finished. Good Luck!

Kat

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 12

hold up a mirror to your cake and look at it through the mirror. Doing this allows you to see the cake from a different perspective (literally) and not see the flaws that stand out to you. Maybe doing this will allow you to visualize what you need.....

CakeMommyJeni Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you ladies. I did take a step back, I went to bed, lol. I could not sleep last night because of how much I don't like it. Not too many flaws actually, I just don't even know what it is, I just don't like it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 12

Why don't you post a photo of it? icon_biggrin.gif Someone will either make a suggestion that you like and can use, or we'll convince you it's better than you think it is icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Why don't you post a photo of it? icon_biggrin.gif Someone will either make a suggestion that you like and can use, or we'll convince you it's better than you think it is icon_biggrin.gif

She has a good point! Let us have a look so maybe someone has a suggestion. It's probably not as bad as you think anyway icon_wink.gif

CakeMommyJeni Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:30am
post #7 of 12

Well, thank you ladies, I would have posted a picture, but I totally ran out of time. I ended up finishing the cake and was ok with how it turned out and the client loved it, so I guess I was just being too hard on myself. Thank you though, and I have posted a picture in case you were wondering....

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:03am
post #8 of 12

Jeni,

You WERE being too hard on yourself. The cake is totally adorable, the buttons too cute! I think we are always way too hard on ourselves. I try SO very hard to let myself off the hook and it never ever works! LOL! Oh well, it's what makes me try to keep on improving!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:19am
post #9 of 12

It's a great cake!!!

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #10 of 12

Add my vote too!! It does look great. The colors are very pleasing and your bow and top looks really good. You should be pleased with the job you did.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 12

Jeni, just like catlharper said, we are much too hard on ourselves. I can tell you what NOT to do if you feel like this in the future: Don't discount your cake. I had a similar experience with my Halloween spider cake. I was so totally ashamed of it that it felt like a school assignment in my younger days...I didn't want to turn it in! Feeling so, when I delivered it I didn't collect the 1/2 balance that was owed me. I just wanted to anonymously disappear. Well, I posted my feeling here and was so gratified by the response. I even printed out the thread so if I ever feel this way again all I have to do is re-read it. I can see garish flaws in almost everything I do, but fortunately, most others don't. Don't be discouraged. You do beautiful work.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 12

Did the cake turn out how you orginally played?

I think alot of times we see this cake in our head and as we are working it involves into something else and since it isn't what we orginally saw we dislike it. Becauce we are comparing the image in our head to what is on the cake.

Also if a cake isn't going well or you having issues, that can be projected on how much you like or dislike the final cake.

There has been many times were the cake didn't turn out as grand as I saw in my mind. That doesn't mean that the cake was ugly or that others didn't love it. Those that had no idea what the orginal vision, will see the cake for it, not for what you thought it should be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%