3 D Sneaker...help!!!!

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm by JenniferMI

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:47am
post #1 of 16

I am pulling my hair out.......I can't figure out where to start after covering the entire sneaker with mmf..........and how to get the tongue and the part around the heel to stand up...........any tips would really really be appreciated......I am aiming for NIKE but it may be dollar store special till its all over

15 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:48am
post #2 of 16

Add a bit of CMC or gum traganth to the fondant, makes it a bit stiffer so it can hold it's shapr better, also, don't roll it out too thin, use some clingwrap or tissue to support it, until it can hold it's shape

madgeowens Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 16

thanks for the tip

madgeowens Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 16

anyone else?????????????

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #5 of 16

i may be too late if you have already covered the whole shoe in MMF. but on any areas that are standing up, like around the ankle part or the tip of the tongue, before covering put some fondant with cmc or gumtex in it and allow it to set up a bit, then when you drape the fondant over there is some support underneath that you can shape the fondant on top with, not sure if that makes sense.

madgeowens Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #6 of 16

No I have just been practicing.....and its been dismal.........what is cmc? What about using tylose? I can't figure how to get all the parts on the side the right size and it would be nice to have a pattern. I was thinking of enlarging a pic of a nike and try and make it the right size to get all the parts to scale...if that makes sense...

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 16

i did a search for converse shoe and there is a great one by CakesByLJ. look her up, she pointed me in the right direction and is willing to send you some tips. you are on the target with making a pattern the size that u want the cake to be, then use the pieces to trace and cut your fondant. i didnt add anything to my fondant other than color, no cmc, no tylose. it stretched a bit, but then u just cut back a bit with your exacto knife.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 16

Dont know if this would help you are not:

http://www.how2cakes.com/converse.html

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 16

Contact JenniferMI -- Jennifer Dontz. She did a 3D sneaker cake and she's very helpful with directions and assistance! In fact there was another thread on this very subject but I forgot what the title of it was. icon_cry.gif Oh well. If you look in her pix, you'll see the cake I'm referring to. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #10 of 16

thank you thank you I will

madgeowens Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Contact JenniferMI -- Jennifer Dontz. She did a 3D sneaker cake and she's very helpful with directions and assistance! In fact there was another thread on this very subject but I forgot what the title of it was. icon_cry.gif Oh well. If you look in her pix, you'll see the cake I'm referring to. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

can't find that name in members list???

madgeowens Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:09am
post #13 of 16

icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #14 of 16

She'll help you -- I just wish I could find that other thread!! icon_cry.gif

madgeowens Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #15 of 16

you have helped me...........thank you so much!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #16 of 16

Hi Madge!

I'm probably to late to help, but if you still need any, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

PS - I carved the entire cake first, then added the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%