Any Tips For Rolling Out Fondant Ropes??

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 3:33am by Donnabugg

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 17

Can someone share with me any tips you may have on how to roll fondant or gumpaste out in thin, round rope-like strips. I know some use an extruder for this but I don't have one. I can't seem to keep the same thickness and it slides all over the place....Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 17

I would buy an extruder, the craft stores carry different brands and some aren't expensive. i bought a smaller one for $10, and i found it works just fine for ropes and making shapes. I doubt you will be able to roll it thin enough by hand, and if you do,it won't be uniform in size. HTH.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:25am
post #3 of 17

you can also use a cake smoother. Just gently use the cake smoother instead of your hand its not as good as an extruder but better than just a hand hth

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 10:31am
post #4 of 17

Not sure itll give you the width you would need. But, I"ve been told to use 2 dowel rods and roll the fondant between them.

Good Luck.......

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:53am
post #5 of 17

fondant smoother works great for even ropes, clay extruder is great for thin ropes but won't give you thicker ones

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:55am
post #6 of 17

I have both an extruder and a smoother, and find I use the smoother most. It's much better than just using your hands.. a smoother gives an even shape.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 17

Do you thin the fondant to get it through the extruder?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 17

Edna uses a really good technique in this video. HTH

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks mugabug! That's a neat way to roll out fondant without an extruder and without getting irregularity and finger marks in the fondant!

queenybee83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenybee83 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 17

This is a good site to get mold impressions from http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/bordersandropes.aspx
Hope that helps it cuts your time by more then half and you have time to make other things for the cake!!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 17

I made an extruder using pvc pipe and a dowel to push it thru. You can drill a hole the size of rope you need. Just cost a few dollars to make one. I have added shortening to the fondant to soften or heated the fondant for a few seconds, that helps also.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 17

I just use my hands and have had no problem at all so far.... start with a saussage shape, place it on a clean marble top or granite top counter, place your palms on either side of the saussage and roll it back and forth while gently stretching the fondant outwards at the same time...be careful not to stretch too fast or too much.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 17

To add to Sheena's advice, if you roll your fondant next to a dowel the size you want the rope to be, it will help to keep it even.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I made an extruder using pvc pipe and a dowel to push it thru. You can drill a hole the size of rope you need. Just cost a few dollars to make one. I have added shortening to the fondant to soften or heated the fondant for a few seconds, that helps also.

Can you elaborate on how you make that?? Thanks.

(love your signature line icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 8:05pm
post #15 of 17

You can also lay a cake board over it and roll it back and forth. It will help work it larger with out the thin or finger spots.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

Can you elaborate on how you make that?? Thanks.

(love your signature line icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

We just went to home depot and bought pvc pipe and cut it the length we wanted. Any size you want. They have caps for the end, we drilled the cap, I had several holes drilled for grass, but you could do one large one for whatever size of a rope you would like, then you glue the cap on the end with pvc glue, or maybe you could find one with threads on the pipe and a threaded cap, then you could change them out. I just used a wooden dowel, that will just fit inside the pvc to push the fondant thru. It was easy for us, my husband has all kinds of tools and drill bits, so that may be a problem if you don't have that. It was easier for us, we don't have cake supply stores around here, so you got to make due.
Oh, and ya, big Office Fan icon_lol.gif

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #17 of 17

So many great tips! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%