Help! Does My Duck Need A Cake Board And Dowel?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 12:24am by djs328

confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a ducky in a barrel baby shower cake. It is an eight inch round cake and the duck on top is solid modeling chocolate (it weighs 12 3/4 ounces, if that matters). Its the size of a regular rubber ducky. Does it need a cake board and dowel under it? Is there some sort of rule as far as how heavy something has to be before it needs support so I don't have to always ask you guys? Thanks!

3 replies
djs328 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 4

I would...it will help support it. I had to do that for my VW Bug on my surf cake.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:22am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! That cake is super cute and definitely similar to mine as far as the size of the modeling chocolate piece. I think I'll go ahead and support it. Did you just put one dowel underneath?

djs328 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #4 of 4

I think I probably did 2 or 3? I always worry that if I only do one it will inevitably fall or something! LOL! Actually, I may have done 3 lolly sticks on that, b/c it was smaller than a whole cake. I think I did a bamboo skewer thru the whole thing, too, so it wouldn't shift off the cake. Good luck! Sounds like a cute cake!!! icon_smile.gif

D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%