Help With Ganache That Won't Harden

Baking By tsc Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm by tsc

tsc Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 4

So I made ganache today using a tweaked recipe from the Cake Bible. I've made ganache several times before, but this time it just won't set. I put it in the fridge for a few hours, then I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. It still was pretty liquid. I decided to whip it instead. At first, it wouldn't whip, then it got all kind of chunky. I thought it was too cold, and The Cake Bible mentioned remelting it, so I put it in a bowl of warm water. I didn't melt it completely, but then it got kind of grainy looking. Should I just give up and melt it completely and start over or does anyone know what went wrong? I've never had problems like this. I'm using it for a cake tonight and a cake tomorrow. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
tsc Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 4

any ideas, anyone?

kathyx1 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 4

I use a 2:1 ratio for ganache (basically double the amount of chocolate to cream) and have never had a problem. Also, use a nice thick cream.

tsc Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 4

yea, i'm starting to think there's too much cream in it. i did it by weight, and i think my measurements were a little off. i'm thinking about mixing in some more melted chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%