Powder Colors...

Decorating By Calgary_Mama Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm by tonedna

Calgary_Mama Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, this is my first time posting here - so I hope I can find it again afterwards LOL.
Myquestion is about powder colors.
I am making a "New Moon" themed cake for my daughter's birthday party next weekend, and I am doing a cobblestone wall around the top tier and a clock tower. I was thinking that for the cobblestones I could "paint" them with dry powder colors to make softer different colors and hopefully have them more realistic... now I have never done this before.. I've got the colors and some brushes, but is this a difficult technique to master? I'm not gunna lie, I"m nervous about it!
I'm thinking I will keep the top tier off until the wall is attached and "painted" and then put it on... so I don't get any powder on the tier below it... is this okay you think?
I'm still fairly new to decorating, only been doing it for about a year now, so I am really wanting to try new things...
could really use some advice on this one icon_smile.gif
Thanks all.

7 replies
tonedna Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 8

Is actually very easy. Easier than working with them wet. I love them!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Calgary_Mama Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

really... wow thanks.
the ladies at the wilton store here in town where I bought my powder colors from kinda had me wigged out, they were like, "well you better be a good artist" I was like ummmmm well... not really, but I'll give it a go anyhow.. thankfully its for my daughter lol and not a paying customer

tonedna Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 8

I love the ones from the sugar art company and ck company.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tmterlaan Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 8

I know sugar art company, but what is ck company?

tonedna Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

they sell them in globalsugarart.com
Edna icon_smile.gif

Calgary_Mama Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:15am
post #7 of 8

I just finished the top tier to my daughter's cake, the cobblestone effect turned out amazing using the different powder colors icon_smile.gif I can't believe how great it turned out to be honest! I can't wait until I am finshed this cake to post!!!

tonedna Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 8

Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%