Is There A Place That Tells Me How Much Crisco Weighs?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 11:26pm by Frugalqueen

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 8

When I make buttercream icing I use half crisco half butter. I prefer to weigh my crisco because its easier but I'm not sure that my weight measurement is accurate. Does anyone know how much a cup of crisco weighs or know of a place that has accurate information? TIA

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 8

I have read that 1 cup of Crisco (actually any solid fat) weighs 7 oz. HTH

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 8

Crisco is lighter than butter (one cup of butter is eight ounces). One cup of Crisco is about 6.84 ounces.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 8

Fill a measuring cup with crisco, and weigh it. This is the most accurate way to do it. Then you can use that #.

Mike

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Fill a measuring cup with crisco, and weigh it. This is the most accurate way to do it. Then you can use that #.

Mike

That's what I've done but it seems I get a different number every time; anywhere from 6 5/8 to 7 oz. Not a huge difference but still not exactly the same. Thanks for the replies, it sounds like my measurements were pretty close!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

That's what I've done but it seems I get a different number every time; anywhere from 6 5/8 to 7 oz. Not a huge difference but still not exactly the same. Thanks for the replies, it sounds like my measurements were pretty close!

See that's the issue. Brown sugar is even worse.

Mike

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 8

I use this conversion website
http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm

Has equivalents for lots of ingredients like shortening, brown sugar, etc. Personally I use 15 oz by weight as the equivalent of 2 cups for shortening.

Frugalqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frugalqueen Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 8

This is late in the day for a reply, but...

The Crisco can says there are 12 grams in 1 tablespoon on Crisco.  Since there are 16 tablespoons in a cup - 1 cup of Crisco weighs 192 grams or 6.76 ounces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%