Gumpaste Do You Make It Or Buy It?

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 1:26am by tomsmom245

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 16

Forgive me if this has already been asked before. I searched but didn't find what I was looking for.

I generally use Satin Ice gum paste. Shipping cost of the stuff is unbelievable!

I was wondering what brand you use or if you make your own.

Thanks!

15 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 16

I make it.

I've been using Kerry Vincent's recipe for years and I love it. It's really easy to make (takes all of 7-10 minutes), calls for only three ingredients and it can be used right away... no need to let it rest overnight.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 16

Oh wow! Can that recipe be found here on CC?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 16

Make it... hands down.

I use Nic Lodge's recipe... 4 ingredients and I can make it in my sleep. It says to let it rest, but you can use it straight away if you want.

Premade GP isn't the same. I haven't found a brand that compares to making it yourself.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Oh wow! Can that recipe be found here on CC?

I have no idea. I do know, however, that it can be found in her book.

tomsmom245 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks! I hate not having a supply shop around here that actually carries stuff you can use. I don't have enough tylose to make the nic lodge recipe. BLAH!

The store here does carry CK Products gumpaste mix. For $3.49 I am not expecting much but am going to try it.

I am going to look for the Kerry Vincent Book while I am out.

THanks!!

FromScratch Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 16

You can easily 1/2 or 1/4 the recipe if you don't have enogh tylose to make the whole thing. icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 16

I recently tried the Nick Lodge gumpaste, will NEVER go back to store brought again. So easy to make and wonderful to work with.

tomsmom245 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #9 of 16

Yeah I know I could cut the recipe down. I just need more gum paste than I have enough tylose to make.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #10 of 16

I defomately make Nic Lodge's recipe. I was given some of his ready made and it was awful compared to making it myself.
Many times I just use Wilton's fondant (easiest for me to get at Michael's) & add some Tylose to it. Works just fine for what I do icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #11 of 16

I absolutely adore Nic Lodge's gp, just like all the others are saying. It's a beautiful white color and handles wonderfully. Tylose can be hard to get though, that's the only problem. I need to get myself to place a big order and include that!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:21am
post #12 of 16

I use Massa or Wilton since I don't use it too often.

FromScratch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #13 of 16

The full recipe makes a good amount of gumpaste... but I totally understand if you need a ton. icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #14 of 16

How long can you store/keep Nic Lodge's gum paste? I am a hobby baker and do not use that much at one time.

FromScratch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:28am
post #15 of 16

It keeps for a good LONG time. When I make it... I separate it out into smaller bits (usually 6 pieces) and wrap them and pop them into a vacuum bag (just the hand held reynolds bags) and put it in the fridge. It keeps very well that way. icon_smile.gif

tomsmom245 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #16 of 16

I tried using the CK gumpaste mix this weekend. It is no good for figure sculpting. Everything drooped and wilted. I haven't had time to try any flower with it.

I bit the bullet and ordered some more Satin Ice. I also ordered some more tylose so I can try the nick lodge recipe.

I looked for the Kerry Vincent book at both of our local bookstores with no luck.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%