Feeling Awful.......

Decorating By happy1mom Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 7:04am by Mensch

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 23

My sister in law called me yesterday and asked if I could make a baby shower cake for today. She needed it to feed at least 15 people. I suggested an 8 inch square (I read that an 8 inch would serve 24), and she was fine with it. When she came to pick it up, she said she liked it, but did comment that it was rather small. I really don't know what size she thought she was getting. I made it very clear that the 8 inch would be enough for more that 15 guests when we talked about it.

I feel awful - I would hate for her to be embarrassed for not providing enough cake for her friends shower. Did I misread the serving chart? I used Earlene's Cake Serving Chart. Do I owe my sister in law an apology? Or, money back? I don't do this professionally - she wanted to pay for supplies and time. *The cake is in my photos.

22 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 23

An 8 inch square is more than enough for 15 people! Maybe she wants leftovers. I am doing an 8 inch round for a shower tomorrow to feed 20 and a square feeds more. No reason to feel awful or give money back!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 23

You're a much nicer SIL than me. I would have told her to pick something up at the grocery store with that short of notice.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 23

You don't owe here anything!! That cake turned out nice...and they had plenty of servings!! Actually, according to Wilton serving chart 8 inch square feeds 32...so she got twice as much cake than what she wanted. People don't realize that you cut them 1x2x4. People dont need a bigger piece than that.

This is what the cake slices look like:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 23

Was the cake 2 layers? How much batter did you use?
Each cake mix is usually enough to serve 15 nice, but not generous, pieces.
An 8" sq uses one cake mix per layer.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 23

That cake is beautiful!!! It should easily feed 15. On such short notice she is very lucky to have such a lovely cake! icon_smile.gif

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 23

Fabulous cake, incredibly short notice, PLENTY of cake.....
WOW!
Nothing to feel bad about and she should be thanking you profusely!
Next time tell her she can go to a grocery store.....

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 23

What a sweet person you are. Your sister in law gives you extremely short notice, then complains about the size and YOU feel awful? Your SIL should have been happy for anything -and she got a great cake.
If I read your post right you suggested to her the 8 inch square and she agreed. So does she not know how much 8 inches are or what a square is? What was so unexpected with an 8 inch square cake being the size of an 8 inch square?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 23

An 8" for me serves 32. She got a very nice cake.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 23

8" cake is plenty big enough, and that cake is adorable. I think she must not have been taking the height into account. People are so used to the cakes they get at the grocery store that are short and therefore need a larger surface area to provide the same # of servings. She should be grateful that you were willing to do that cake last minute, I'd never be able to pull that off.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 23

I have started giving people a cutting chart with the cake, so they know the correct way to cut the cake in order to get the right number of servings.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 23

I think AngelaM has the right idea. I also provide cutting charts to my friends who I make cakes for. I do this now, because I've found that in most cases they're thinking I'm going to give them a cake that will allow them to hand out a 3 x 4 inch slice of cake, and not the normal 1 1/2 or 2 x 4 inches slice that we all know is the standard size. So, maybe you SIL was thinking along the same lines when she mentioned that it was a little small. If it's not to late give her a call, or if possible fax over a copy of a cutting chart, to help her understand how the cake should be cut to feed her quest.

Edited: Sorry, should have said email her a copy and/or fax. There might be a cutting chart on cc you could send to her.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:03am
post #13 of 23

Your "simple cake" is beautiful! I still belong to the "I don't think that is enough food (cake)...." club, but am trying to learn! People today expect supersized everything thinking it is normal because that is the only size they have ever seen. Also, in most cases, cake is not a meal!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:11am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1mom

I suggested an 8 inch square (I read that an 8 inch would serve 24), and she was fine with it.

If your 8" square was a 4" layer cake, there should have been plenty of cake. icon_smile.gif

Here's indydebi's handy dandy cake cutting guide:

http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

HTH

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:14am
post #15 of 23

i love the cake btw, very pretty

i make a 8" for my office every sunday and it feeds an office of 20 with seconds for some

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #16 of 23

Gorgeous cake...plenty of cake too! Even if she did think it was small, she should have kept her trap shut since you were so nice to do an overnight rush job.

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:24am
post #17 of 23

I'm not sure about servings, but that is an awesome cake, and especially amazing at such short notice! It takes me longer than that to decide on a design!!!

Quote:
Quote:

What was so unexpected with an 8 inch square cake being the size of an 8 inch square?

Not exactly sure why, but I almost spat coke everywhere when I read this! icon_lol.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:25am
post #18 of 23

If I had an inconsiderate SIL who didn't respect my generosity and my time constraints, I would feel awful too.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:53am
post #19 of 23

Wow, some people have "cake" balls! lol

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:09am
post #20 of 23

An 8" cake feeds well over 20 people plus that cake looked taller than an average two layer cake too. I can't believe someone would receive a beautiful cake like that on short notice then make a negative comment on it!!!!

Tiara13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiara13 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:32am
post #21 of 23

I always worry about there not being enough cake too...and then there is always leftovers! Remember - not everyone at the party will want a slice of cake. Sometimes people are full, or on diets, or (horror of all horrors) simply don't like cake. I think the size is perfect, and the design is gorgeous.

dtdonnahoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtdonnahoo Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:42am
post #22 of 23

In America we eat large portions! At parties we have large slices of cake. It's always a bit of a shock to hear the serving size.
As a recent muggle I was shocked as well. I agree it would be a great idea to send a serving chart with the cakes to avoid suprises!
BTW I LOVE your cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:04am
post #23 of 23

I always include an instruction sheet for every cake.

It includes a cutting chart and other instructions, like the cake should be at room temperature when served, and that it should be cut with a sharp knife, and that I recommend that one person oversees the cutting and serving of cake (so that guests don't have at it themselves).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%