Why Is My Glace' Or Glaze Icing Blotchy?

Baking By princessandthepea Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 12:58pm by GeminiRJ

princessandthepea Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, This is my first time using glace' icing I have been a RI user. I found on Cakecental a lot of people suggested using and loved using glace' or glaze over RI. I do love the taste better. I was very dissapointed in the look. I woke up this morning to find they had splotches on them. I have read a lot this morning and I do know now my icing was too thin because it ran off the cookie if I tilted it. Is that why it was splotchy because it was too thin? I loved using it. It was so much easier than RI. I would like to try it again. Can anyone offer any help to a failed first timer? Thans so much!!! I have rad the post and ya'll are he most helpful people!!!!!

3 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 4

I've only had problems with the finish of the glace when the house is cold. Glace just doesn't like to get cold! I've been adding brite white to the icing when I mix it up (about 5 drops for every cup of powdered sugar) and it seems to help. But I'll still get a faint "foxing" appearance. The more intense the color, the bigger the problem. I'm learning to accept it as a drawback to the icing. I can't wait for spring and some warmer weather!

princessandthepea Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:08am
post #3 of 4

First I just want to say your work is amazing!! i especially love the 3D cookies AWESOME!!! Thanks for your help! I will try it again and keep the house really warm or put them in a warm room. Have you ever put them in a cooled down oven to dry or would that even work? Thanks again!

GeminiRJ Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessandthepea

First I just want to say your work is amazing!! i especially love the 3D cookies AWESOME!!! Thanks for your help! I will try it again and keep the house really warm or put them in a warm room. Have you ever put them in a cooled down oven to dry or would that even work? Thanks again!

Thank you for the nice comments about my cookies! As to putting the cookies in the cooled down oven, I would worry about the cookies themselves getting stale quicker that way. Though the thought has crossed my mind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%