Bc Icing Curdling/seperating When I Color It.

Decorating By SassyDesigns Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm by SassyDesigns

SassyDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyDesigns Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:58am
post #1 of 4

For some reason the last 2 cakes I have done with BC icing, when I added the Wilton Paste Color it seemed to seperate. When I added yellow & Brown to get the color I needed it actually seperated to where you could see spots of yellow very clearly throughout the piping bag. Can anyone PLEASE help me. I was told I had too much liquid so I didn't add milk at all this last time. icon_cry.gif

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:31am
post #2 of 4

What frosting recipe did you use? (Just provide a link or the complete name.)

Have you successfully used this b/c recipe before?

Without sufficient info, I'd hazard to say that it sounds like your shortening wasn't properly creamed prior to adding the paste so that the coloring didn't disperse uniformly.

Why did you think you had too much liquid? I'm not understanding that at all. Not using the liquid called for would make your frosting very thick and difficult to work with...

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 4

Where the colors you making darker colors were you added in alot of color paste? I know what you are talking about and it happens for me with darker colors (using both Wilton and Americolor). I think adding alot of the colors can cause the icing to seperate, and it never happens until you get it in the bag and start piping with it.

What I have found helps me is adding some cornstarch to my buttercream icing. I just throw in a little when I am mixing up the dark colors and it doesn't seperate on me.

SassyDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyDesigns Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 4

My receipe is actually my mom's & she & I have both used it several time sucessfully.

1 cup Shortening
1 cup butter
1 tea Vanilla
2 lb Pwd Sugar
splash of milk

I was using dark/vivid colors. I'll def try the cornstarch. I tried to add Pwd Sugar but it didnt seem to help. I am new at this so I am still learning all the little tips & secrets. I am so glad there is a site where baker help one another out. THANKS!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%