How To Adhere "sand" (Crushed Nilla Wafers)

Decorating By laurs_1981 Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 3:50am by nicoles0419

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:57am
post #1 of 8

so i'm making this beach themed cake and it's driving me up the wall cause i'm just not good enough to be taking on these crazy cakes yet!!!!...but i guess i'm learning....

so anywayyyyyyy...my question is this:....i'm puting fondant on the cake, but i want to do patches of "sand" (the crushed nilla wafers i refered to)....i just am not sure how to stick them on the cake!!....i bought some piping gel thinking that might work, but i don't want to ruin anything by doing something wrong....

any ideas?...has anyone else done this before?...anyone want to do it for me??? haha

7 replies
buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 8

I used buttercream on my treasure chest cake...it worked well.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:06am
post #3 of 8

I've used piping gel which I brushed on - it'll work fine. If you are nervous, then take a small piece of fondant and try it out to see just how much gel to use in order to get the 'sand' to stick. I don't know how much fo it you want on there. Good luck!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 8

lol You'll do just fine.

Yes, piping gel will work. Just brush it on and "throw" the nilla crumbs at it.

Well, not really "throw" so much as just "toss" them. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, just scoop them up in your hand and press them onto the gel.

Good luck!

P.S. I've also used light corn syrup to adhere crumbs to fondant before too.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 8

You are on the right track with the piping gel. If you are doing it in patches, just use a paint brush to apply it to the cake. Anything you paint with the gel will allow the crumbs to adhere. Make sure your crumbs are crushed quite fine. You are doing great! Your instincts are right on track so don't count on anyone stepping up to do this for you! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:47am
post #6 of 8

I've also used royal icing before...just make it sandy colored and then spread it on kind of thin and then add the "sand"...

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:48am
post #7 of 8

We used buttercream: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1493849
Even for the beach. The blue you see in the photo is the tablecloth hanging over the sides. We put the buttercream right to the very edge, patted the Nilla wafers right in. The cake sat this way for 5 or 6 hours before it was cut. Not to mention that the entire sand castle was covered the same way, even the parts that were cut from gumpaste, or had RKT underneath. Worked great and added extra buttercream which everyone loves. And don't be afraid, it's a breeze. This was the first time we tried it, and have done it since.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 8

piping gel or buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%