Powdered Food Coloring

Decorating By nannie Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 1:01am by aej6

nannie Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone used this before?

What are the benefits over gel or liquid?

Also which would be best for coloring merangue?

Thanks for your help.

6 replies
milkmaid42 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #2 of 7

I keep red and black powdered color on hand for coloring fondant. These colors are more difficult to achieve and I find it easier to add along with the powdered sugar. If, after resting overnight to let the color develop, I find I need more color, I will knead in some Americolor until I get the desired shade. (I have also used red, unsweetened Kool aid powder for taste and flavor.)
I have no experience coloring meringue, so can't really recommend.

cdavis Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:22am
post #3 of 7

I started using powdered colors a couple of months ago and absolutely love them. You get a much richer color and they are easier to store and handle than the gels and liquids. I would think they would work fine in meringue.

jobueno Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 7

I have used the colored food coloring as well as the gels and find that you do get a much richer color with the poweders. I love them. I have learned however that they can be a bit tricky to disolve so when using powdered food coloring I always disolve them in whatever liquid I'm using for my icings. Meringue as well as fondant. Make sure you disolve them first then add to your icing.

aej6 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobueno

I have used the colored food coloring as well as the gels and find that you do get a much richer color with the poweders. I love them. I have learned however that they can be a bit tricky to disolve so when using powdered food coloring I always disolve them in whatever liquid I'm using for my icings. Meringue as well as fondant. Make sure you disolve them first then add to your icing.

Absolutely! I've used the ones I have only a few times but the first few times I did not dissolve them and it remained "grainy" in the buttercream I was coloring! Took me a while to figure it out...hahaha!

swagoner Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 7

In a buttercream icing, what do you dissolve it in first?

aej6 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #7 of 7

I add creamer to my b.cream so I disolve it/mix it into that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%