Make A Fake Wedding Cake

Decorating By mrsb14 Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 2:26am by prterrell

mrsb14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsb14 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:13am
post #1 of 7

My daughter wants a fake wedding cake to display at the wedding reception. I am plannning on cutting styrofoam squares or circles for cake bases but no idea what to cover it with. I plan on using my cricut to decorate it. any suggestions would be aprreciateted. Shelagh

6 replies
taliascott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taliascott Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:47am
post #2 of 7

You can buy cake dumies at GSA for pretty cheap! And then you won't have to worry about them all being the correct size...also you can caver them with fondant, just apply a little shortning first! HTH icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 7

www.dallasfoam.com also has them and many other cake supply places. You will find it helpful to have a wooden cutting board or a cut piece of plywood or something heavy that you can drill three or four long screws through so they stick out of the other side about 2 inches. Place the heavy board screws sticking out side up and shove the foam dummy onto those to anchor it down so you can work on it and not have it sliding around. Rub the dummy with crisco, roll out your fondant to pie crust thickness and cover the dummy. Then just glue them together with a little royal icing and handle carefully.

Check out some of the you-tube videos on how to cover a cake with fondant. There are many places you can buy pre-made fondant or try some of the recipes in the recipe section here on Cake Central.

In the end you are going to find it time consuming and costly to make the final beautifully decorated dummy and buy sheet cakes to cut and serve. I would seriously price it out and check with bakeries and cake makers in your area as a comparison... you may just find it worth saving the head ache to spend a few bucks more and get the real deal.

mrsb14 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks to you both for your import will check it out ..i have a year before wedding.Shelagh

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 7

Why does she want a fake cake???

mrsb14 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 7

it seems to be the in thing here these days, her sister had one and it was so easy to set up in the reception hall, she will serve a smaller real cake.She is very budget conscious and i think i will end up using my "cricut" to decorate it.Shelagh

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #7 of 7

It's actually MORE expensive to do a fake cake plus kitchen cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%