Strawberry Frosting Without Using Extract?

Baking By sugarMomma Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm by SHADDI

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 24

I was asked to make a yellow cake with strawberry icing for a Strawberry Shortcake themed cake. Is there a way to make one without using an extract? I usually use Lorann's but not sure if I have time to make it to cake store to purchase.

I will be making a PS based American style buttercream. What can I add to make it strawberry flavor, without giving it a wonky texture. Keep in mind I am placing fondant accents on the iced cake.

Wish they went with a strawberry cake and vanilla icing...oh well.

23 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 24

Thanks for the tip JanH. I have wanted to try the icing fruit, but unfortunately time is not on my side for online orders either. My friend just told me today he wanted this for his daughter and my schedule is packed but I may just have to make that drive to the cake store. Does McCormick's make a strawberry extract that I can just pick up at the grocery store?

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 24

I take it you don't want to use fresh strawberries or a strawberry jam...how about strawberry jello or kool aid into the buttercream....IDK, just throwing ideas out there.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 24

Those are the ideas I am looking for. Will jello give it a funny texture? How do you use kool aid? I am looking for any tried and true idea, that can be purchased easily at a grocery store. But I need recipes/proportions since this is all new territory to me.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 24

I am wary of using fresh strawberries in the icing, maybe the filling but not icing. I don't want any fruit lumps or seeds showing in the icing. I need it to be uniform in color and texture.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 24

could you puree the strawberries then pass thru fine mesh strainer/cheesecloth? I do that with raspberries and blackberries all the time...no lumps there...fresh, wonderful taste.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 24

if it was me, i would talk to them about having strawberry filling, which ever way you want to make it. then just your smooth b/c for the frosting. the sleeve filling that you see on different cake sites. and the filling that janH mentioned . they are great fillings. add them to your b/c , or put right between the layers. strawberry spread at the local groceries are good. like the all fruit kind. a c/cer tells she makes her strawberry filling, using the strawberry jam, spread, preserves, mixes it with strawberry jello. mixes it really good. lets set up for a bit. says it is is delicious. haven,t tried it. but want to. even that would be good mixed with your regular b/c for filling. than , again. use your reg. b/c for frosting. again, i would speak to the client about it first. good luck.you can still use the butter cake.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 24

I use jello. Just heat it up a little with just a little water until it dissolves then add slowly to the buttercream, to taste. Since you can use any of jello's flavors there is a quite a lot of possibilities with jello buttercreams. I also make different flavored cakes with their jellos. Hope this helps!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 24

The grocery store has strawberry extract, made by McCormick I think. It's red but makes pink buttercream. It actually tastes a lot better than Lorann's strawberry, less like chemicals.

sugarMomma Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 24

Texas Rose that is exactly what I wanted to hear, hope I can find it easily.
However that jello idea intrigues me...is there a specific recipe somewhere?

Thanks for everyone's ideas! If you have any more please post!

This is for a friend who expects a lot on a little budget (has never even covered my expenses, but that is my fault for not speaking up) so I want to make it as easy on my time and pocket as possible.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:27am
post #12 of 24

I have used kool-aid before. I just added a little at a time until I got the flavor I wanted. Word of caution though, if you use kool-aid, let the icing sit for an hour or two and remix. You will get little dots of concentrated color when you mix up the koolaid. By allowing to sit and remix you get the color distributed evenly. I love using this for filling between layers.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #13 of 24

I have a good one if you can get it... freeze dried strawberries.. run them through your food processor to a fine crumb and swirl into your BC... delicious to the max with full of real strawberry flavor and color!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:25am
post #14 of 24

i add strawberry jam to mine

it turns it a nice pink, with no colouring. And I like the little bits of strawberry in it.... it looks more... "fresh" i was to say?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:22am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The grocery store has strawberry extract, made by McCormick I think. It's red but makes pink buttercream. It actually tastes a lot better than Lorann's strawberry, less like chemicals.

I use McCormick's strawberry extract quite a bit, it's very good. thumbs_up.gif

But I didn't mention it because you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

Is there a way to make one without using an extract?

HTH

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #16 of 24

I just boiled frozen strawberries with sugar until I have a thick syrup, strain it and used that for liquid in my buttercream. It tasted like fresh strawberries.

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 24

My tiny little Walmart has started carrying Lorann extracts. I don't know what they normally run, but here there $2 for two little bottles. They are with the Wilton supplies.

sugarMomma Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 24

I guess I really meant to ask if there was a way to flavor the icing with grocery store products. I didn't realize Mccormick made a decent strawberry extract, I had always used Lorann's but had no time to get to cake store or order it. I had only checked one grocery store and only saw raspberry. After a few searches I found the Mccormick's strawberry, yay!

These were all great ideas, and I want to experiment with jello or kool aid. I also will order some icing fruit next time I place an order. I had that on my things to try list and forgot until this post.

Thanks everyone for your help!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:54pm
post #19 of 24

if you want lorann oils check your local drug store back by the pharmacy! They use them to flavor cough syrups and antibiotics!

sadsmile Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #20 of 24

Eek gads! is that what they use? Ewwww! Who wants to use those then? If kids hate their meds and the cake will have an Erie strange and yucky flavor. In this case I will stay far away from the lorann cherry, grape, bubblegum and strawberry!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:03pm
post #21 of 24

Actually , I've used the Lorann strawberry for strawberry icing. It turned out really delicious.

I used 1/8 tsp. for three cups of icing.

sadsmile Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:08pm
post #22 of 24

But I have used the key lime, orange and butter rum flavors and they are great! So don't not buy them because of that. And some may even like the medicine flavored with lorann. But the medicine flavor thing will be the deal breaker here.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm
post #23 of 24

well, add what you want to the medicine it's STILL nasty.........even lorann oils can't fix that! lol

I use the raspberry all the time for white choc. raspberry cake.....it's soooooo yummy!

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #24 of 24

Does anyone know where i can find a Kool-aid strawberry Flavor cake. I am doing a Cake this weekend for a Man that loves Kool-Aid and the wife wanted to get him a Kool-Aid Man Cake with a strawberry flavor cake. it would be great if i can make the cake with the strawberry kool-aid flavor mix in the cake mix. Can someone help me by sharing how you do it or were can i find a recipe for it

Thank you ahead of time.
the cake is for this Friday so I will start on it tomorrow.

Shaddi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%