Stacking Cakes

Decorating By deelovlie1 Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm by leah_s

deelovlie1 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone I was wondering if I can get some advice on stacking the layers on cakes...because usually I just place them on top of eachother but then when we cut the cake it looks all messed up, so Im wondering if Im supposed to put wax paper or card board on the bottom of each layer this way when it gets cut it is easier and nicer...? what is the proper way to stack a cake? Ive looked on tutorials but they just say how to put the dowel rods in...
thank you for your time.

6 replies
hynest Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 7

The idea is to dowel the bottom cake and have the second cake(on a cake board) rest upon the dowels in the bottom cake. This stops it from sinking into the bottom cake. I am just starting to tier my cakes too. I have read just about everything this site has to offer and I just LOVE it!

deelovlie1 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 7

is a cake board basically that cardboard type they sell by the pack from wilton? what do I do if its not the size or shape just cut it with a box cutter?

msulli10 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 7

Basically, the general rule is that every 4 inches of cake should be on it's own cake board - the wilton ones are fine and you can cut them down to size. Be sure to put dowels (I use straws) in the lower tiers that are going to hold additional tiers. And finally put one large dowel through all the cakes.
The entire cake should be supported on a very sturdy board, like foamboard or masonite.

KateLS Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 7

Usually, you separate the tiers before you to cut them. Start with the largest size, since the smaller ones will be easier to take home if there are left overs.

HTH

Lyns082608 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 7

Check out an SPS for stacking cakes...super easy and sturdy! love it!

leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 7

Well you don't put a cardboard under every layer - you put a cardboard under every tier.

And please do read the sticky on SPS. I wouldn't use anything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%