Butter Was Too Cold...help

Decorating By whit6 Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 12:12am by cakeaddictunite

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

Soo...i did the dumbest thing this morning! I needed to make buttercream but forgot to take the butter out to come to room temp earlier this morning. It had only been out for about half an hour and stupid me got impatient and decided to just put it in the mixer and try to beat it until tit got smooth. Seemed ok but as soon as i added the shortening it got completely lumpy...exactly what i was afraid of. So my question is, will the lumps go away after it comes to room temp or do i need to start over? Has this ever happened to anyone? The reason I ask is because in the past when i have made cheesecake batter where there is some lumps of unsoftened cream cheese they never seem to go away. But what about butter?

Thats what I get for being impatient

4 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 5

In my experience, when I've gotten impatient like you did I ended up with the same problem - and the butter lumps never went away. I had to start all over again. To help speed the process the second time, I heated my butter in the microwave on the defrost cycle for just a little bit and it brought the butter to the right temperature.

Good luck!

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 5

I've done this before too and personally found that once I added the sugar, & liquid (milk) and beat the heck out of it....the lumps were gone. Good Luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 5

I wanted to bake something the other day and forgot to take the butter out of the fridge. I put it in the oven with just the light on. The light in my oven puts off some heat. After 10 mins I flipped the butter over and shortly it was soft but not melty.

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:12am
post #5 of 5

I also did this the other day my fix it was to add a bit more sugar and use a hand mixer to mix it really well and poof it was very smooth (HTH)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%